How to Reduce Landslides by Preventive Actions
- 2.8k Downloads
This paper will treat how to avoid emergence situations of landslides. This issue started 12 years ago in Brazil and is not yet finished, but after some years of insisting in preventive actions it became possible to change the hopeless traditional reconstruction work of ruptured slopes. The breaking of a vicious circle where money never was affordable but waste to cover accidents! A strategy of methodical inspection and documentation of slopes was introduced at some toll road companies, finally reaching about 2000 km motorway in the federal state of São Paulo. Draining and covering slope surface by plants showed soon up as very important issues, frequently treated with ignorance. The final success came when we introduced simple and practical recuperating projects, fast and efficient, instead of the time consume designs delayed by slow bureaucracy and inflexible standards. Successful solutions can be surprisingly simples and cheap.
Keywordsslope inspection drainage vetiver bamboo maintenance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Camapum de Carvalho (2009). Erosão, origens, soluções e responsabilidades, COBRAE 2010, São Paulo/SP. (Reference in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 2.Campi, N. (2005). Projeto Padrão, dispositivos de drenagem, Departamento de Estradas de Rodagem do Estado de São Paulo. (Reference in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng, H., Yang, X., Liu, A., Fu, H., and Wan, M. (2003). A study on the performance and mechanism of soil-reinforcement by herb root system. In Proceedings of third international vetiver conference, Guangzhou, China (Vol. 384, p. 390).Google Scholar
- 4.Coelho, A. T., and Pereira, A. R. (2006). Efeitos da vegetação na estabilidade de taludes e encostas Boletim Técnico, 1, 1–20. (Reference in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 5.Nilsson, T. (2010). Uma metodologia preventiva e multidisciplinar para preservação de taludes rodoviários. Engenharia Geotécnica para o Desenvolvimento, Inovação e Sustentabilidade, 1–8. (Reference in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 6.Pereira, A. R. (2006). Como selecionar plantas para áreas degradadas e controle de erosão. Belo Horizonte: Fapi. (Reference in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 7.Truong, P., Tran, T. V., and Pinners, E. (2008). Vetiver system applications. Proven and green environmental solutions. The Vetiver Network International, 9, 16.Google Scholar