Image Processing and Machine Learning Techniques to Detect and Classify Paddy Leaf Diseases: A Review
- 13 Downloads
In Asian countries, paddy is one of the major staple foods, and the agricultural sector is the largest employer in India’s economy. Hence, an effective mechanism should be adopted for food security and its production. Due to infections caused by pests like virus, fungus and bacteria, there is a huge loss in quality and quantity of the rice. This results in a huge loss to the farmers. This survey presents the different image processing techniques for paddy disease identification and further classification. The challenges involved in each step of diseases detection and classification are analyzed and discussed. Image preprocessing, segmentation, feature extraction and classification are the main stages involved in paddy disease identification and classification. All these four stages are well addressed here. This survey gives a complete overview along with the challenges of each stage and also focuses the research challenge and research gap. This survey concludes that automatic paddy leaf disease detection, and classification requires much more advancement. There is a need for more advanced techniques to automate the system effectively and efficiently.
KeywordsImage processing Image segmentation Feature extraction Classification
- 1.Gutte, V.S., and M.A. Gitte. 2016. A survey on recognition of plant disease with help of algorithm. International Journal of Engineering Science 7100.Google Scholar
- 2.Scardaci, S.C., R.K. Webster, C.A. Greer, J.E. Hill, J.F. Williams, R.G. Mutters, and J.J. Oster. 1997. Rice blast: A new disease in California. Agronomy Fact Sheet Series 2: 1–2.Google Scholar
- 5.Gonzalez, C.R., E.R. Woods, and L.S. Eddins (eds.). 2001. Digital image processing. Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, M. 2009. Bilateral filter in image processing. Master’s Thesis, Louisiana State University, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.Suman, T., and T. Dhruvakumar. 2015. Classification of paddy leaf diseases using shape and color features. International Journal of Electronics and Electrical Engineering 7 (01): 239–250.Google Scholar
- 13.Devi, D.A., and K. Muthukannan. 2014. Analysis of segmentation scheme for diseased rice leaves. In International conference on advanced communication control and computing technologies (ICACCCT), May 2014, 1374–1378. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 14.Narmadha, R.P., and G. Arulvadivu. 2017. Detection and measurement of paddy leaf disease symptoms using image processing. In International conference on computer communication and informatics (ICCCI), January 2017, 1–4. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Joshi, A.A., and B.D. Jadhav. 2016. Monitoring and controlling rice diseases using image processing techniques. In International conference on computing, analytics and security trends (CAST), December 2016, 471–476. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Ghosh, S., and S.K. Dubey. 2013. Comparative analysis of k-means and fuzzy c-means algorithms. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 4(4).Google Scholar
- 17.Singh, A., and M.L. Singh. 2015. Automated color prediction of paddy crop leaf using image processing. In International conference on technological innovation in ICT for Agriculture and Rural Development (TIAR), July 2015, 24–32. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 18.Kular, J.S. 2014. Package of practices for Kharif Crops of Punjab. Punjab Agriculture University Ludhiana. https://www.pau.edu/. Accessed December 25, 2014.
- 19.Chaudhary, P., A.K. Chaudhari, A.N. Cheeran, and S. Godara. 2012. Color transform based approach for disease spot detection on plant leaf. International Journal of Computer Science and Telecommunications 3 (6): 65–70.Google Scholar