Model-Based Fault Detection of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors of Drones Using Current Sensors
- 13 Downloads
This work proposes a simple, low-cost and effective scheme for the detection of the most common faults in drone actuators which are, usually, permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSM). The scheme is based on a modelling stage which only requires the current measurements from a faultless motor. From this, a simplified transfer function of the motor is derived. Then, the output of this model and a healthy motor are used as arguments of simple tests to detect the occurrence of a set of characterized faults in the target motor. The setup of the scheme and the development of the tests are straightforward. The faults considered in this work are inter-turn short-circuit, changes in friction constant and flying off propeller and other less common faults. Experimental results show that these faults are accurately detected and characterized by the proposed scheme, opening doors to further work on predictive maintenance and drone adaptive or re-configurable controllers.
KeywordsPMSM modelling Fault detection Drone actuators Current sensor
This research is funded by National Council of Science and Technology (CONACyT) of México under grants 261774 and 227601.
- 2.Bouabdallah, S., Siegwart, R.: Backstepping and sliding-mode techniques applied to an indoor micro quadrotor. In: 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation ICRA, pp. 2247–2252. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Carrillo, L.R.G., Lopez, A.E.D., Lozano, R., Pegard, C.: Quad-rotor control (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Kayalvizhi, M., Akilandeswari, M.: Design and implementation of speed regulator for a PMSM using genetic algorithm. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Technol. 3(1), 866–872 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Lakshminarayan, I.: Model-based fault detection for low-cost UAV actuators. Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, C., Zhang, Y., Li, P.: Extreme learning machine based actuator fault detection of a quadrotor helicopter. Adv. Mech. Eng. 9(6), 1–10 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, B.: Fault detection of brushless permanent magnet machine drives. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Meier, L., Tanskanen, P., Fraundorfer, F., Pollefeys, M.: The PIXHAWK open-source computer vision framework for MAVs. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spat. Inf. Sci. 38(1), 13–18Google Scholar
- 11.Singh, S., Kumar, A., Kumar, N.: Detection of bearing faults in mechanical systems using motor current signature and acoustic signatures. In: 21st International Congress on Sound Vibration, pp. 1–8 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Medeiros, R.L.V., Ramos, J.G.G.S., Nascimento, T.P., Lima Filho, A.C., Brito, A.V.: A novel approach for brushless DC motors characterization in drones based on chaos. Drones 2(2), 14 (2018)Google Scholar