Clubbing in Dubai: The Making of a “Party Capital”
- 7 Downloads
The aim of this chapter is to assess the changing identity of the city of Dubai to becoming a hub of party entertainment in the Middle East. In 2012, Lonely Planet, named Dubai and Tel Aviv “today’s party capitals of the Middle East.” The juxtaposition of these two very different cities in the Lonely Planet’s world ranking of “Ultimate Party Cities” testifies to the transformation of Dubai’s identity in recent years. Israel has already had a reputation of a party outpost in the region thanks to, among others, a number of music festivals organized there (Best Festivals in Israel, Secret Tel Aviv. Retrieved October 23, 2018 from https://www.secrettelaviv.com/best-festivals-in-israel, n.d.), hence the inclusion of its capital in the ranking testifies to a long-standing tradition of entertainment. But Dubai, thanks to “the swank bars and clubs of the Middle East’s most decadent desert getaway,” (Lonely Planet, Ultimate Party Cities. Retrieved March 1, 2018 from https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-tips-and-articles/ultimate-party-cities/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d2777622, 2012) has grown its party reputation in the last decade and in the ranking, has outwon Beirut, a top contender traditionally known to be the party capital of the Arab world. This rapid transformation of Dubai’s identity is thus especially interesting to analyze.
This study will look in detail into the development of Dubai’s clubbing entertainment, particularly into the growth of the electronic music scene, from the point of view of the development of tourism industry. Electronic music has become in the last decades a global phenomenon, widely popularized on all continents and a major money generating business.
This research was conducted collecting data on the ground from nightclubs and through the analysis of their websites and local news starting from 2015. In addition, the researcher conducted semi-structured interviews with Dubai Brand Manager in 2016 and music producers involved in the clubbing scene in Dubai in 2018. The study builds also upon my past findings about the development of tourism in the Arabian Gulf region.
- A New Nightclub Is Now Open in Dubai Marina. (2018). What’s On. Retrieved January 3, 2019 from https://whatson.ae/dubai/2018/08/a-new-nightclub-is-now-open-in-dubai-marina/
- Alpen Capital. (2014). GCC Hospitality Industry. Retrieved January 1, 2015 from http://www.alpencapital.com/downloads/GCC_Hospitality_Report_24092014.pdf
- Best Festivals in Israel. (n.d.). Secret Tel Aviv. Retrieved October 23, 2018 from https://www.secrettelaviv.com/best-festivals-in-israel
- Economist Intelligence Unit [EIU]. (1993). United Arab Emirates. International Tourism Reports, 3, 29–54.Google Scholar
- Emirates News Agency. (2011). UAE Travel and Tourism One of Key Contributors to GDP. Retrieved March 30, 2015 from http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/uae-travel-and-tourism-one-of-key-contributors-to-gdp-2011-08-28-1.415393
- Garvan, S. (2014, August 1). Top DJs Say Ibiza Is Too Expensive for Young People. BBC. Retrieved April 2, 2018 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/28472079/top-djs-say-ibiza-is-too-expensive-for-young-people
- Global Media Insight. (2018). United Arab Emirates Statistics. Retrieved January 3, 2019 from https://www.globalmediainsight.com/blog/uae-population-statistics/
- Godard, T. (2018). The Economics of Electronic Dance Music Festivals. Retrieved November 30, 2018 from https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-economics-of-electronic-dance-music-festivals
- Hanif, N. (2012, January 4). Dh387,988 Receipt from Dubai’s Cavalli Club Creates Twitter Sensation. The National. Retrieved January 3, 2019 from https://www.thenational.ae/uae/dh387-988-receipt-from-dubai-s-cavalli-club-creates-twitter-sensation-1.603945
- Infusion Magazine. (2019). Retrieved March 30, 2019 from https://www.infusion.ae/new-luxury-nightclub-mantis-opening-in-dubai/
- Karolak, M. (2018). Destination Place Identity, Touristic Diversity and Diversification in the Arabian Gulf. In A. Mishrif & Y. Al Balushi (Eds.), Economic Diversification in the GCC: Challenges and Opportunities (pp. 183–208). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Krendzelak, J. (2008). Tourism in Ibiza Island and Its Destination Life Cycle. Dissertation, University of Nottingham. Retrieved October 1, 2018 from http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/23412/1/Tourism_in_Ibiza_and_its_destination_life_cycle.pdf
- Lonely Planet. (2012). Ultimate Party Cities. Retrieved March 1, 2018 from https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-tips-and-articles/ultimate-party-cities/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d2777622
- Maceda, C. (2018, December 5). World’s Most Visited Cities in 2018 Revealed: Where Dubai Ranks. Gulf News. Retrieved December 6, 2018 from https://gulfnews.com/business/tourism/worlds-most-visited-cities-in-2018-revealed-where-dubai-ranks-1.1543991004982
- Middle East’s Greatest EDM Extravaganza Takes Center Stage. (2018). Dubai Night. Retrieved October 1, 2018 from https://www.dubainight.com/dubai/mag/news/middle-easts-greatest-edm-extravaganza-takes-center-stage,28,29280.html
- Paris Hilton Earns Up to 1m Single DJ Set. (2014, October 23). The Guardian. Retrieved May 2, 2018 from https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/23/paris-hilton-earns-up-to-1m-single-dj-set
- Watson, K. (2018). IMS Business Report 2018: An Annual Study of the Electronic Music Industry. Retrieved January 5, 2019 from https://www.internationalmusicsummit.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/IMS-Business-Report-2018-vFinal2.pdf
- Workman, A. (2018, October 11). WATCH: We Drive a Lamborghini into Dubai Nightclub Secret Room. The National. Retrieved October 12, 2018 from https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/motoring/watch-we-drive-a-lamborghini-into-dubai-nightclub-secret-room-1.779395
- World Travel & Tourism Council [WTTC]. (2017). Travel & Tourism 2017. Retrieved January 3, 2018 from http://www.wttc.org/site_media/uploads/downloads/traveltourism2017.pdf