Monitoring and Analysis of Power Quality Issues in Distribution Network—A Case Study
- 16 Downloads
Tracking of system’s overall performance in phrases of Power Quality disturbances and its ill effects on distribution network is growing attention of application toward tracking of Power Quality indices like voltage sag, voltage swell, and harmonics. This paper introduces new index as Power Quality Distortion Index (DI) which offers the contribution of every load on the total distortion of the power system. The presented system set the basis of tracking and analysis of Power Quality indices for distribution network . The characterization of Power Quality problems is found through non-widespread currents, voltages, and frequencies. The Power Quality is related to variations of supply voltage in the form of sags, swells, harmonics, transients, and so on. These issues result in deterioration of energy delivered to end customers, also various disturbances are generated. The loads used by consumers also account for deterioration of Power Quality. Penalties are charged for low power factor loads but at the same time negligence to sizable existence of Power Quality parameter issues like voltage sags and harmonic distortions. Introduction of Cus-14 tom Power Devices (CPD) is an effective solution over Power Quality problems in15 distribution network . This paper presents diverse Power Quality indices like Distortion Index as the computational parameter of Power Quality and design of Dynamic Voltage Restorer (DVR) to compensate voltage sag in the system. Effect of DVR on Distortion Index (DI) is also observed, and outcomes are analyzed with the assist of MATLAB/Simulink.
KeywordsPower quality Harmonics Custom power devices (CPD) Dynamic voltage restorer (DVR) Distortion index (DI)
The research work is being carried out in Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University COE, Pune, in consent with MSEDCL, Pune. The authors desire to thank authorities of BVDUCOE, Pune, for granting permission to publish the work.
- 1.Jape, V.S., Bharadwaj, D.G.: Substation monitoring system (SMS) for remote power quality monitoring and analysis of power distribution network using object oriented web enabled method. IJCTA 10(9), 533–539 (2017) International Science Press. ISSN: 0974–5572Google Scholar
- 2.Sarwade, T., Jape, V.S., Bharadwaj, D.G.: Power quality problems mitigation using dynamic voltage restorer (DVR) using pi controller and fuzzy logic controller. IJET 2(12), 214–218 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Dugan, R.C., McGranghan, M.F.: Electrical Power System Quality, 2nd edn. Tata McGraw HillGoogle Scholar
- 4.Raval, C.H., Doorwar, A.: An overview of various control methods of DVR. In: ICCPCT, pp. 53–57 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Vlahinic, S., Brnobic, D., Stojkovic, N.: Indices for harmonic distortion monitoring of power distribution systems. Instrumentation. 12–15 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Std 519–1992: IEEE recommended practices and requirements for harmonic control in electrical power systemsGoogle Scholar
- 7.IEEE STD 1159–1995: IEEE recommended practice for monitoring electric power qualityGoogle Scholar