A Survey on Digital Forensics Phases, Tools and Challenges
- 15 Downloads
The digital technologies are grown in such way that they are also leading to growth in digital crimes. The aim of digital forensics is to collect, analyze and present evidence related to digital crime and in front of court of law. There are several methods and tools in evidence collection and analysis. This paper gives a survey on digital forensic evidence collection and analysis. Recently, the cloud forensics has become very interesting area of research, as cloud computing is a collection of computer resources and services that can be easily implemented and managed, generally over the Internet. It also discusses about the challenges to be faced in evidence collection and its analysis.
KeywordsDigital forensics Evidence acquisition Examination Analysis Reporting Cloud forensics
- 1.Ali, Khidir M. 2012. Digital Forensics Best Practices and Managerial Implications. In Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks, IEEE.Google Scholar
- 2.Daniel, Larry, Lars Daniel. 2011. Digital Forensics for Legal Professionals, Understanding Digital Evidence from the Warrant to the Courtroom. Syngress Publishing.Google Scholar
- 3.Ieong, Ricci S.C. 2006. FORZA—Digital Forensics Investigation Framework That Incorporate Legal Issues. 3: 29–36.Google Scholar
- 4.22 Popular Computer Forensics Tools: https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/computer-forensics-tools/#gref.InfosecResources. 26 Mar 2018.
- 5.Yusoff, Yunus, Roslan, Ismail, and Zainuddin, Hassan. 2011. Common Phases of Computer Forensics Investigation Models. International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology (IJCSIT) 3 (3).Google Scholar
- 6.Varol, Asaf, Yeşim Ülgen Sönmez. 2017. Review of Evidence Analysis and Reporting Phases in Digital Forensics Process. In International Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (UBMK), IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Pollitt, M.M. 1995. Computer Forensics: An Approach to Evidence in Cyberspace. In Proceeding of the National Information Systems Security Conference. 2: 487–491, Baltimore, MD.Google Scholar
- 8.Pollitt, M.M. 2007. An Ad Hoc Review of Digital Forensic Models. In Proceeding of the Second International Workshop on Systematic Approaches to Digital Forensic Engineering (SADFE’07). Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 9.Palmer, G. 2001. DTR-T001-01 Technical Report. A Road Map for Digital Forensic Research. In Digital Forensics Workshop (DFRWS), Utica, NY.Google Scholar
- 10.Reith, M., C. Carr, and G. Gunsh. 2002. An Examination of Digital Forensics Models. International Journal of Digital Evidence 1 (3): 1–2.Google Scholar
- 11.Carrier, B., and E.H. Spafford. 2003. Getting Physical with the Digital Investigation Process. International Journal of Digital Evidence 2 (2): 1–20.Google Scholar
- 12.Baryamereeba, V. and F. Tushabe. 2004. The Enhanced Digital Investigation Process Model. In Proceeding of Digital Forensic Research Workshop, Baltimore, MD.Google Scholar
- 13.Rogers, M.K., J. Goldman, R. Mislan, T. Wedge and S. Debrota. 2006. Computer Forensic Field Triage Process Model. Journal of Digital Forensics, Security and Law 27–40.Google Scholar
- 14.Forensic Examination of Digital Evidence: A Guide for Law Enforcement. 2004. Available online at: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/199408.pdf.
- 15.Patil, Priya S., A. S., Kapse. 2018. Survey on Different Phases of Digital Forensics Investigation Models. International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering.Google Scholar
- 16.Cyber Secure India. http://www.cybersecureindia.in/cybergallery/disk-tools-data-capture/.
- 17.What-When-How, in Depth Tutorials. http://what-when-how.com/windows-forensic-analysis/registry-analysis-windows-forensic-analysis-part-1.
- 18.Best Forensic Email analysis software. https://www.thetoptens.com/best-forensic-email-analysis-software/.
- 19.Common Mobile Forensics tools and Techniques. https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/category/computerforensics/introduction/mobile-forensics/common-mobile-forensics-tools-and-techniques/#gref. Infosec Resources. 2018.
- 20.Hawkings, Peter. 2002. Macintosh Forensic Analysis Using OS X. SANS Institute Reading Room site.Google Scholar
- 21.Sira, Rommel. 2003. Network Forensics Analysis Tools: An Overview of an Emerging Technology. GSEC. Available online from: https://www.giac.org/paper/gsec/2478/network-forensics-analysis-tools-overview-emerging-technology/104303. SANS Institute.
- 22.Cankaya, Ebru Celikel, and Brad Kupka. 2016. A Survey of Digital Forensics Tools for Database Extraction, In 2016 Future Technologies Conference (FTC), IEEE.Google Scholar
- 23.Fahdi, M.L., N.L., Clarke, S.M., Furnell. 2013. Challenges to Digital Forensics: A Survey of Researchers & Practitioners Attitudes and Opinions. [Online]. P1. Available from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6641058.
- 25.Rekhis, S., N., Boudriga. 2010. Formal Digital Investigation of Anti-forensic Attacks. [Online]. P34. Available from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5491959.
- 26.Bui, S., Enyeart, M., and Luong, J. Issues in Computer Forensics. [Online]. P 7. Available from: http://www.cse.scu.edu/~jholliday/COEN150sp03/projects/Forensic%20Investigation.pdf.Google Scholar