Review of Optimization Methods of Medical Image Segmentation
- 13 Downloads
Medical image segmentation is an important component in medical image analysis and diagnosis which is used as a useful application for medical image processing. Image segmentation of medical images has been implemented and studied by numerous researchers in their various research activities. Robustness of the method is all-time challenge in this type of application of medical image processing. The robustness has been addressed by few researchers but still remains challenging task. The performance of existing research work on medical image segmentation is improved by using optimization techniques. This paper studies and presents a critical review of existing research work that has been used for optimizing the segmentation results. An attempt has also been made to suggest a plan for further formulating a more powerful optimization method to optimize the results that could help in the automated diagnosis of different types of medical images.
KeywordsMedical image segmentation Optimization Image diagnosis Robustness
- 1.Sinha, G.R., and Bhagwati Charan Patel. 2014. Medical Image Processing: Concepts and Applications. Prentice Hall of India.Google Scholar
- 4.Sinha, G.R. 2015. Fuzzy based Medical Image Processing. Advances in Medical Technologies and Clinical Practice (AMTCP), Book Series, 45–61. USA: IGI Global Publishers, IGI Global Copyright 2015.Google Scholar
- 5.Choubey, Siddhartha, G.R. Sinha, and Abha Choubey. 2011. Bilateral Partitioning based character recognition for Vehicle License plate. In International Conference on Advances in Information Technology and Mobile Communication—AIM 2011, eds. V.V. Das, G. Thomas, and F. Lumban Gaol, 422–426, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- 6.Baatz, Martin, and Arno Schape. Multiresolution Segmentation: An Optimization Approach For High Quality Multi-scale Image Segmentation. http://www.ecognition.com/sites/default/files/405_baatz_fp_12.pdf.
- 7.Chabrier, S., Christrophe Rosenberger, Bruno Emile, H. Laurent. Optimization Based Image Segmentation by Genetic Algorithms. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00255987/document.
- 8.Ghassabeh, Youness Aliyari, Nosratallah Forghani, Mohamad Forouzanfar, and Mohammad Teshnehlab. MRI Fuzzy Segmentation of Brain Tissue Using IFCM Algorithm with Genetic Algorithm Optimization. http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~aliyari/papers/aiccsa.pdf.
- 10.Lathen, Gunnar. 2010. Segmentation Methods for Medical Image Analysis Blood vessels, Multi-scale Filtering and Level Set Methods. PhD thesis, Department of Science and Technology Campus Norrkoping, Linkoping University.Google Scholar
- 11.Sivaramakrishnan, A., and M. Karnan. Medical Image Segmentation Using Firefly Algorithm and Enhanced Bee Colony Optimization. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3bb5/6bcad9d0d1276761fc1164d7db25383487d8.pdf.
- 12.Valsecchi, Andrea, Pablo Mesejoyx, Linda Marrakchi-Kacemz, Stefano Cagnoniy, and Sergio Damas. Automatic Evolutionary Medical Image Segmentation Using Deformable Models. https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01221343/file/paperFinal.pdf.
- 13.Smistad, Erik. Medical Image Segmentation for Improved Surgical Navigation. PhD thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).Google Scholar
- 14.Szénási, Sándor, and Zoltán Vámossy. 2013. Evolutionary Algorithm for Optimizing Parameters of GPGPU-based Image Segmentation. Acta Polytechnica Hungarica. 10(5).Google Scholar