Design and Implementation of Animal Activity Monitoring System Using TI Sensor Tag
Wireless sensor networks are used to monitor the movement of animals by exact location in either conscious or unconscious state. This work initiates the details for the fundamental environmental research. The designed animal activity monitoring system employs the use of TI sensor tag attached to the animal body to provide the status and exact location of the animal. Security systems employed for animals these days are not so smart enough to find the exact location and state of animals; hence, the integration of traditional methods with the modem can help sensors to monitor the status of animals. The proposed method uses Raspberry Pi board, TI sensor tag, Pi camera and Wi-Fi dongle for real-time monitor. Here, TI sensor tag is tagged on the animal body which also provides temperature, humidity, pressure, light and motion sensor readings too. The gyro sensor monitors the movement, and their readings are measured based on the threshold value. After determining the location of animal, the camera built captures the image and sends the image to the Gmail account registered for real-time activity monitoring of animal. The prototype designed can also be built through an embedded device for stand-alone mode operation as well.
KeywordsTI sensor tag Pi camera Wireless sensor networks Gmail Raspberry Pi 2
Firstly, I would like to thank Middle East College, Muscat, for providing me the facilities and equipment to perform this work. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to pixabay.com for providing such high-quality HD images for free to perform my work. Also, my deepest thanks to all the co-authors for constant support and dedication.
- 1.Abaya, W.F., Abad, A.C., Basa, J., Dadios, E.P.: Low cost smart security camera with night vision capability using Raspberry Pi and open CV. In: International Conference on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment and Management (HNICEM), pp. 1–6. IEEE, Philippines (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Atabekov, A., Starosielsky, M.: Internet of Things-based temperature tracking system. In: International Conference in Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 493–498. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Balakrishnan, R., Pavithra, D.: IoT based monitoring and control system for home automation. In: Global Conference in Communication Technologies (GCCT), pp. 169–173. IEEE, Thuckalay (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ben Abdelkader, C., Krstikj, A., Karaiskos, C., Mavridis, N., Pierris, G.: Smart buildings and the human-machine cloud. In: GCC Conference Exhibition, pp. 1–6. IEEE, Muscat (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Jadhav, G., Jadhav, K., Nadlamani, K.: Environment monitoring system using Raspberry-Pi. Int. Res. J. Eng. Technol. (IRJET) 3(04), 1168–1172 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Jassas, M.S., Mahmoud, Q.H., Qasem, A.A.: A smart system connecting e-health sensors and the cloud. In: International Conference in Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), pp. 712–716. IEEE, Canada (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Jindarat, S., Wuttidittachotti, P.: Smart farm monitoring using Raspberry Pi and Arduino. In: International Conference in Computer, Communications and Control Technology (I4CT), pp. 284–288. IEEE, Malaysia (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Mane, Y.B., Shinde, P.A., Tarange, P.H.: Real time vehicle monitoring and tracking system based on embedded Linux board and android application. In: International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), pp. 1–7. IEEE, Nagercoil (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Nigel, K.G., Prem Kumar, K.: Smart phone based robotic arm control using raspberry pi, android and Wi-Fi. In: International Conference in Innovations in Information, Embedded and Communication Systems (ICIIECS), pp. 1–7. IEEE, Coimbatore (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Nikhade, S.G.: Wireless sensor network system using Raspberry Pi and zigbee for environmental monitoring applications. In: International Conference in Smart Technologies and Management for Computing, Communication, Controls, Energy and Materials (ICSTM), pp. 376–381. IEEE, Chennai (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Singhal, S.: Smart drip irrigation system using raspberry pi and arduino. In: International Conference in Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA), pp. 928–932. IEEE, Noida (2015)Google Scholar