On the Design of Compact Rectangular Microstrip Antenna for Achieving Wideband Response
The compact antennas are required in personal wireless communication applications where antenna size needs to be kept a minimum. Of the many techniques reported for realizing compact antenna, shorting post method is more preferred due to greater amount of compactness realized at a given operating frequency. However, in most of the literature a systematic study is not outlined to explain detailed design procedure for realizing compact shorted configuration at given specific frequency which is needed in practical systems. This paper present a detailed investigation into the wideband response of slot cut shorted rectangular patch antenna. The formulation in resonant length for shorted modes and subsequent design methodology using the same is explained. This will serve as a guideline in the design of the shorted rectangular patch as per the specific frequency of the given application.
KeywordsCompact microstrip antenna Shorted microstrip antenna Resonant length formulation Higher order modes in shorted rectangular patch antenna
- 1.Lee HF, Chen W (1997) Advances in microstrip and printed antennas. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.James JR, Hall PS (1989) Handbook of microstrip antennas, vol I. Peter Peregrinus, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Balanis CA (2005) Antenna theory & design, 3rd edn. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kumar G, Ray KP (2003) Broadband microstrip antennas, 1st edn. Artech House, USAGoogle Scholar
- 9.Garg R, Bhartia P, Bahl I, Ittipiboon A (2001) Microstrip antenna design handbook. Artech House, USAGoogle Scholar