Implications and Conclusion
Based on the findings of this study, we make several recommendations for teachers of KLLs when it comes to supporting KLLs in their learning of mathematics, as well as building a safe school environment for every student. Moreover, based on the previous research findings related to teaching both KLLs and ELLs, and in combination with the results of this study, we discuss various ways of implementing our recommendations. These recommendations will be compared with the current policies and efforts waged in support of KLLs in South Korea at several levels, including the classroom level, the school level, and the district/government level.
KeywordImplications Teachers Policymakers Teacher educators
- Anstrom, K. (1997). Academic achievement for secondary language minority students: Standards, measures, and promising practices. Washington, D.C.: National Clearinghouse for Bilingual Education. Retrieved from http://www.ncela.us/files/rcd/BE021079/Academic_Achievement.pdf.
- Bunch, G. C., Aguirre, J. M., & Téllez, K. (2009). Beyond the scores: Using candidate responses on high stakes performance assessment to inform teacher preparation for English learners. Issues in Teacher Education, 18(1), 103–127.Google Scholar
- Celedón-Pattichis, S., & Ramirez, N. G. (Eds.). (2012). Beyond good teaching: Advancing mathematics education for ELLs. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Civil, M. (1994). Connecting the home and school: Funds of knowledge for mathematics teaching and learning. In Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (pp. 4–8). New Orleans, LA. Retrieved from http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED370987.
- Civil, M. (2007). Building on community knowledge: An avenue to equity in mathematics education. In N. Nasir & P. Cobb (Eds.), Improving access to mathematics: Diversity and equity in the classroom (pp. 105–117). New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Garcia, E., & Gonzalez, R. (1995). Issues in systemic reform for culturally and linguistically diverse students. Teachers College Record, 96(3), 418–431.Google Scholar
- Gay, G. (2010). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory, research, and practice (2nd ed.). New York: Teachers College.Google Scholar
- González, N., Moll, L., & Amanti, C. (2005). Funds of knowledge: Theorizing practices in households, communities and classrooms. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Kitchen, R. S. (2005). Making equity and multiculturalism explicit to transform mathematics education. In A. J. Rodriguez & R. S. Kitchen (Eds.), Preparing mathematics and science teachers for diverse classrooms: Promising strategies for transformative pedagogy (pp. 33–60). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar
- Kitchen, R. S., DePree, J., Celedón-Pattichis, S., & Brinkerhoff, J. (2007). Mathematics education at highly effective schools that serve the poor: Strategies for change. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2009). The dreamkeepers: Successful teachers of African American children (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.Google Scholar
- McLeman, L., & Fernandes, A. (2012). Unpacking preservice teachers’ beliefs: A look at language and culture in the context of the mathematics education of English learners. Journal of Mathematics Education, 5(1), 121–135.Google Scholar
- Moll, L. C. (1988). Some key issues in teaching Latino students. Language Arts, 65(5), 465–472.Google Scholar
- Moll, L. C. (1989). Teaching second-language students: A Vygotskian perspective. In D. M. Johnson & D. H. Roen (Eds.), Richness in writing: Empowering ESL students (pp. 55–69). New York: Longman.Google Scholar
- Morales, H., Khisty, L. L., & Chval, K. (2003). Beyond discourse: A multimodal perspective of learning mathematics in a multilingual context (Vol. 3). International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. Retrieved from http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED500995.
- Moschkovich, J. N. (2007). Bilingual mathematics learners: How views of language, bilingual learners, and mathematical communication affect instruction. In N. S. Nasir, & P. Cobb (Eds.), Improving Access to Mathematics. New York and London: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Moschkovich, J. (2012). Mathematics, the Common Core, and language: Recommendations for mathematics instruction for ELs aligned with the Common Core. Presented at the understanding language conference. Stanford University, CA. Retrieved from http://ell.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/academic-papers/02-JMoschkovich%20Math%20FINAL_bound%20with%20appendix.pdf.
- Moschkovich, J. (2013). Principles and guidelines for equitable mathematics teaching practices and materials for English language learners. Journal of Urban Mathematics Education, 6(1), 45–57.Google Scholar
- Moschkovich, J. N. (Ed.). (2010). Language and mathematics education: Multiple perspectives and directions for research. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Pub.Google Scholar
- Raborn, D. T. (1995). Mathematics for students with learning disabilities from language-minority backgrounds: Recommendations for teaching. New York State Association for Bilingual Education Journal, 10, 25–33.Google Scholar
- Secada, W. G., & De La Cruz, Y. (1996). Teaching mathematics for understanding to bilingual students. In Children of la frontera (pp. 285–308). Charleston, WV: ERIC Clearinghouse.Google Scholar
- TEACH MATH. (2012). Culturally responsive mathematics teaching lesson analysis tool. Unpublished Instrument.Google Scholar
- Wisconsin Center for Educational Research (WCER). (1992). Mathematics classroom observation protocol. Madison: University of Wisconsin, Madison.Google Scholar
- 김민정 (2012). 한국어가 모국어가 아닌 학습자를 위한 수학 지도 방법 연구. 서울시립대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문. Kim, M. J. A study on teaching mathematics for non-Korean users.Google Scholar
- 박소율 (2017). 한국어 교육과정 학습 어휘와 초등 수학과 학습 어휘 비교 분석: 도형 단원 중심으로. 경인교육대학교 교육전문대학원 석사학위논문. Park, S. A comparative analysis on learning vocabulary between Korean education curriculum and elementary mathematics-Centering on the field of geometry.Google Scholar
- 묘예나 (2011). 이공계 학문 목적 학습자를 위한 한국어 어휘 선정 및 교육 방안. 중앙대학교 대학원 석사학위논문. Myo, Y. Study on Korean mathematical vocabulary selection and teaching methods for international students majoring in science and engineering.Google Scholar
- 길지수 (2014). 이공계 학습자를 위한 한국어 전공 어휘 교육방안 연구. 경희대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문. Gil, J. A Study on Learning Methods of Academic Korean Vocabularies: Focusing on Natural Sciences and Engineering Vocabularies.Google Scholar
- 최은혜 (2016). 학문 목적 한국어 학습자를 위한 자연과학계열 전공 기본어휘 선정. 이화여자대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문. Choi, E. A study on selection of fundamental vocabularies of natural science for learners of Korean for Academic Purposes.Google Scholar
- 진소희 (2013). 다문화 배경 학생을 위한 학습 한국어 어휘 선정 및 교육 방안 연구. 서울교육대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문. Jin, S. H. A study of teaching methods and selecting academic Korean vocabulary for multicultural background students.Google Scholar