A General Construction for Password-Based Authenticated Key Exchange from Witness PRFs
In cyber security, authenticated key exchange (AKE) can be used to achieve the privacy and authentication of data. As a relevant cryptographic protocol, password-based authenticated key exchange (PAKE) has been studied for its convenience. Recently, Katz and Vaikuntanathan proposed a round-optimal PAKE from smooth projective hash functions (SPHFs). However, the instantiation of smooth projective hash functions depends on the underlying NP-relation which is a CCA-secure encryption relation in their construction. In this paper, we apply a new cryptographic primitive named witness PRFs to construct PAKE. In our settings, the concrete construction of witness PRFs is independent of the underlying NP-relation. At this point, our construction is more general, and furthermore, we have a discussion on some possible NP-relations, which could be used to construct secure PAKE in our settings.
KeywordsAuthenticated key exchange Witness PRFs CCA-secure labeled encryption OAEP+
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions. This work was partially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61632013).
- 4.Bellovin, S.M., Merritt, M.: Encrypted key exchange: password-based protocols secure against dictionary attacks. In: IEEE S&P, pp. 72–84 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Bellare, M., Canetti, R., Krawczyk, H.: A modular approach to the design and analysis of authentication and key exchange protocols. In: 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC 1998), pp. 419–428. ACM, Dallas (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Bellare, M., Canetti, R., Krawczyk, H.: Provably secure session key distribution: the three party case. In: 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC 1995), pp. 57–66. ACM, Las Vegas (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Ding, J., Alsayigh, S., Lancrenon, J., RV, S., Snook, M.: Provably secure password authenticated key exchange based on RLWE for the post-quantum world. In: Handschuh, H. (ed.) CT-RSA 2017. LNCS, vol. 10159, pp. 183–204. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-52153-4_11CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Yao, H., Wang, C.: A novel blockchain-based authenticated key exchange protocol and its applications. In: 2018 IEEE Third International Conference on Data Science in Cyberspace (DSC), pp. 609–614. IEEE, Guangzhou (2018)Google Scholar
- 26.Zhu, L., Guo, C., Zhang, Z., Fu, W., Xu, R.: A Novel Contributory Cross-domain group password-based authenticated key exchange protocol with adaptive security. In: 2017 IEEE Second International Conference on Data Science in Cyberspace (DSC), pp. 213–222. IEEE, Shenzhen (2017)Google Scholar