Facing Arctic Challenges at Sea
This introduction makes use of an example—the Elektron-case—to outline the growing importance of coast guard affairs in the Arctic and more generally across the oceans. What rights do states have at sea? How did these come about? What is the room for international cooperation between different countries on coast guard tasks? Why do states choose to cooperate at sea in the first place? These are the overarching questions tackled in this book and outlined in the introduction. This coincides with three trends being explored in this chapter and the book at large, namely the changes occurring at sea in the Arctic, the increasing demand for international cooperation in dealing with these changes, and finally changes occurring in ocean politics more generally.
KeywordsCoast guards Arctic Elektron-case Ocean politics South China Sea
- Allison, Edward H., Allison L. Perry, Marie Caroline Badjeck, W. Neil Adger, Katrina Brown, Declan Conway, Ashley S. Halls, Graham M. Pilling, John D. Reynolds, Neil L. Andrew, and Nicholas K. Dulvy. 2009. ‘Vulnerability of National Economies to the Impacts of Climate Change on Fisheries.’ Fish and Fisheries 10 (2): 173–96.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Borgerson, Scott G. 2009. ‘The Great Game Moves North.’ Foreign Affairs, March 25. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/global-commons/2009-03-25/great-game-moves-north.
- Economist. 2017. ‘Getting Serious About Overfishing.’ Economist, May 27. http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21722629-oceans-face-dire-threats-better-regulated-fisheries-would-help-getting-serious-about.
- Eiran, Ehud. 2017. ‘Between Land and Sea: Spaces and Conflict Intensity.’ Territory, Politics, Governance 5 (2): 190–206.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2016. The State of the World Fisheries and Aquaculture: Contributing to Food Security and Nutrition for All. Rome. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i5555e.pdf.
- Fermann, Gunnar, and Tor Håkon Inderberg. 2015. ‘Norway and the 2005 Elektron Affair: Conflict of Competencies and Competent Realpolitik.’ In War: An Introduction to Theories and Research on Collective Violence, edited by Tor Georg Jakobsen, 2nd ed., 373–402. New York, NY: Nova Science.Google Scholar
- Hemner, Jarl Eirik, Magnar Aukrust, Johan Kr. Øydegard, Olav Myklebust, Malin Soltvedt Nossum, Ole-David Stenseth, Martin Ramsland, and Mette Birkelund O’Connor. 2007. ‘Arbeidsgruppen for utredning av oppgave- og myndighetsfordelingen mellom Kystvakten, Politiet og Påtalemyndigheten [Working Group for the Investigation of Tasks and Governance Between the Coast Guard, the Police and the Prosecutor’s Office].’ Oslo.Google Scholar
- Holsti, Kalevi J. 1995. International Politics: A Framework for Analysis. Engelwood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Inderberg, Tor Håkon. 2007. ‘Norsk Kystvakt – Politi eller Forsvar? [Norwegian Coast Guard—Police or Defence?]’ Nordlys, February 19. https://www.nordlys.no/kronikk/norsk-kystvakt-politi-eller-forsvar/s/1-79-2594494.
- Kaplan, Robert D. 2011. ‘The South China Sea Is the Future of Conflict.’ Foreign Policy 188: 76–85.Google Scholar
- Østhagen, Andreas. 2018. ‘Geopolitics and Security in the Arctic.’ In Routledge Handbook of the Polar Regions, edited by Mark Nuttall, Torben R. Christensen, and Martin Siegert, 348–56. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Pauly, Daniel, and Dirk Zeller, eds. 2016. Global Atlas of Marine Fisheries: A Critical Appraisal of Catches and Ecosystem Impacts. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Pomeroy, Robert, John Parks, Richard Pollnac, Tammy Campson, Emmanuel Genio, Cliff Marlessy, Elizabeth Holle, Michael Pido, Ayut Nissapa, Somsak Boromthanarat, and Nguyen Thu Hue. 2007. ‘Fish Wars: Conflict and Collaboration in Fisheries Management in Southeast Asia.’ Marine Policy 31 (6): 645–56.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Prescott, Victor, and Clive Schofield. 2004. Maritime Political Boundaries of the World. Leiden, NLD: Martinus Nijhoff.Google Scholar
- Rothwell, Donald. 1996. The Polar Regions and the Development of International Law: Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Shambaugh, David. 2002. Modernizing China’s Military: Progress, Problems, and Prospects. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Skram, Arild-Inge. 2017. Alltid til stede: Kystvakten 1997–2017 [Always Present: Coast Guard 1997–2017]. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.Google Scholar
- VanderZwaag, David L. 1983. The Fish Feud. Toronto, ON: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. ‘The Gulf of Maine Boundary Dispute and Transboundary Management Challenges: Lessons to Be Learned.’ Ocean and Coastal Law Journal 15 (2): 241–60.Google Scholar
- Wendt, Alexander E. 1999. ‘Social Theory of International Politics.’ American Political Science Review 94: 429.Google Scholar
- Wood, Louisa J., Lucy Fish, Josh Laughren, and Daniel Pauly. 2008. ‘Assessing Progress towards Global Marine Protection Targets: Shortfalls in Information and Action.’ Oryx 42 (3): 340–51.Google Scholar