Anesthetic Management of Thoracic Trauma
- 21 Downloads
Our thoracic cavity harbors the most important vital structure of the body. It is bounded by ribs which is a strong protective covering of organs with paramount importance. It requires a great force to disrupt this wall and injure the underlying structures. Injury to thorax is related to have a high incidence of morbidity and is the leading cause of death at young age (1–45 years) , and also the predominant cause of “years of life lost” before achieving 75 years of age . These accounts for 25–50% of all trauma-related mortality [3, 4]. In majority (70%) of cases, this devastating injury to the chest is associated with multisystem injuries.
- 1.Bergen G, Chen LH, Warner M, et al. Injury in the United States: 2007 Chartbook. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2008.Google Scholar
- 2.Fingerhaut LA, Warner M. Injury Chartbook. Health, United States, 1996–1997. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Available from: http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10.html Atlanta, GA. Accessed 30 June 2009.
- 6.Gerhardt MA, Gravlee GP. Anesthesia considerations for cardiothoracic trauma. In: Smith CE, editor. Trauma anesthesia. Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press; 2008. p. 279–99.Google Scholar
- 7.DePalma RG, Burris DG, Champion HR, et al. Blast injuries. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(13):1335–42.Google Scholar
- 8.American College of Surgeons. Committee on Trauma. Advanced trauma life support program for doctors: ATLS. 7th ed. Chicago, IL: American College of Surgeons; 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Herzig D, Biffl WL. Thoracic trauma. In: Fink MP, editor. Textbook of critical care. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2005. p. 2077–87.Google Scholar
- 12.Kirkpatrick AW, Ball CG, D’Armours SK, et al. Acute resuscitation of the unstable adult trauma patient: bedside diagnosis and therapy. Can J Surg. 2008;5(1):57–69.Google Scholar
- 13.Hakuba T, Minato N, Minematsu T, et al. Surgical management and treatment of traumatic right atrial rupture. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;56(11):551–4.Google Scholar
- 14.Lim R, Gill IS, Temes RT, et al. The use of adenosine for repair of penetrating cardiac injuries: a novel method. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71:1714–5.Google Scholar
- 18.Rocco A, Reiestad F, Gudman J, et al. Intrapleural administration of local anaesthetics for pain relief in patients with multiple rib fractures: preliminary report. Reg Anesth. 1987;12(1):10–4.Google Scholar
- 20.Luchette FA, Radafshar SM, Kaiser R, et al. Prospective evaluation of epidural versus intrapleural catheters for analgesia in chest wall trauma. J Trauma. 1994;36(6):865–9. Discussion 869–870Google Scholar