Nation’s Equity and Soft Power
This chapter examines how Kazakhstan which aims to be among the top thirty countries in the world by 2050 in terms of various rankings and ratings, should manage its global reputation and soft power. It reviews different national issues within Kazakhstan that needs to be urgently attended to, and managed, if it is to achieve its goal for global recognition.
KeywordsSoft power Kazakhstan’s soft power Rukani Jangyru UNESCO historic sites Eurasian connectivity
- Acheson, D. (1987). Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department. New York: W. W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Baker, D. P., & LeTendre, G. K. (2014). World culture and the future of schooling. In J. Boli, F. J. Lechner (Eds.), The Globalization Reader. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Batrakova, N. (2019, May 22). A global knowledge assessment system for students will be introduced in the Kazakhstani universities. Informburo.kz. https://informburo.kz/novosti/v-vuzah-kazahstana-vvedut-globalnuyu-sistemu-ocenivaniya-znaniy-studentov.html. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Chen, S. (2018, July 23). The soft power of fame: A Kazakh star in China a dashing pop singer from Kazakhstan is a hit in China. Eurasianet. https://eurasianet.org/the-soft-power-of-fame-a-kazakh-star-in-china. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Giulianotti, R., & Robertson, R. (Eds.). (2009). Globalization and Sport. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Goldblatt, D. (2006). The Ball Is Round: A Global History of Soccer. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Iso, G. M. (2019, April 1). UNESCO’s nod will mean “better trade” for over 36,000 hawkers, cementing Singapore’s culinary legacy. The Independent. http://theindependent.sg/unescos-nod-will-mean-better-trade-for-over-36000-hawkers-cementing-singapores-culinary-legacy-kf-seetoh/. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Karazhan, Y. (2019). Kazakhstan and the Global Worlds: Challenges and Opportunities. Astana Forum Analytical Review.Google Scholar
- Kazakhstan News Gazette. (2018, April 12). Year of Rukhani Zhangyru: Spiritual modernization united. https://kazakhstannewsgazette.com/year-of-rukhani-zhangyru-spiritual-modernization-united-kazakhstanis/. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Kazinform. (2019, May 20). Nursultan Nazarbayev receives Shigeo Katsu. https://www.inform.kz/en/nursultan-nazarbayev-receives-shigeo-katsu_a3528353. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Laruelle, M., & Peyrouse, S. (2013). Globalizing Central Asia: Geopolitics and the Challenges of Economic Development. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.Google Scholar
- Nazarbayev, N. (2018, January 10). New opportunities under the fourth industrial revolution. State of the Nation Address. http://www.akorda.kz/en/addresses/addresses_of_president/state-of-the-nation-address-by-the-president-of-the-republic-of-kazakhstan-nursultan-nazarbayev-january-10-2018. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Nye, J. S. (2004). Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics. New York: Public Affairs.Google Scholar
- Pelizzo, R., Baris, O., & Janenova, S. (2017). Objective or perception-based: A debate on the ideal measure of corruption. Cornell International Law Journal, 50(1), 77–106.Google Scholar
- Riboud, M. (2014). Inclusive human development. In A. Aitzhanova, S. Katsu, J. Linn, & V. Yezhov (Eds.), Kazakhstan 2050: Toward a Modern Society for All (pp. 73–108). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Robertson, R. (1992). Globalisation: Social Theory and Global Culture. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sagintayeva, A., & Jumakulov, Z. (2015). Kazakhstan: Kazakhstan’s Bolashak scholarship program. International Higher Education, 79, 143–146.Google Scholar
- Schnitzer-Skjonsberg, A. (2017, June). South-South and triangular cooperation: Towards sustainable human development in Europe and the commonwealth of independent states. UNOSSC/UNDP. https://www.eurasia.undp.org/content/dam/rbec/docs/undp-rbec-SSC-towards-sustainable-human-development-europe-CIS-report.pdf. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Sen, A. (2014). How to judge globalism. In J. Boli, F. J. Lechner (Eds.), The Globalization Reader. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Sorbello, P. (2015, 30 June). EXPO in Kazakhstan becomes corruption show. The Diplomat. https://thediplomat.com/2015/06/expo-in-kazakhstan-becomes-corruption-show/. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Tengrinews. (2015, August 13). Kazakhstan’s Akorda among the world’s most beautiful presidential palaces. https://en.tengrinews.kz/politics_sub/Kazakhstans-Akorda-among-worlds-most-beautiful-presidential-261572/. Accessed 22 August 2019.
- Uatkhanov, Y. (2019, June 18). Kazakhstan to export horse meat to Japan. The Astana Times. https://astanatimes.com/2019/06/kazakhstan-to-export-horse-meat-to-japan/. Accessed 22 August 2019.