UAVs Formation Control Based on Artificial Potential Functions with the Orientation Considered
In this paper, we present an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) formation control method based on artificial potential functions characterized by attractive and repulsive properties. Because artificial potential functions can only affect the distance between agents, the orientation of the formation is not considered. We improve the method by adding an additional control term to the agents to guarantee the orientation of the formation. A nonlinear fixed-wing UAV model is established and we apply the method to the model to verify its feasibility. Simulation results illustrate that the desired formation can be achieved.
KeywordsFixed-wing UAV nonlinear models Artificial potential functions Formation control Formation orientation
- 4.Rezaee, H., Abdollahi, F., Menhaj, M.B.: Model-free fuzzy leader-follower formation control of fixed wing UAVs. In: 2013 13th Iranian Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Qazvin (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Yoshioka, C., Namerikawa, T.: Formation control of nonholonomic multi-vehicle systems based on virtual structure. In: Proceedings of the 17th IFAC World Congress, Seoul (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Ronchieri, E., Innocenti, M.: Decentralized control of a swarm of unmanned aerial vehicles. In: AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Hilton Head (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Feng, Y., Wu, Y., Cao, H., Sun, J.: UAV Formation and obstacle avoidance based on improved APF. In: 2018 10th International Conference on Modelling, Identification and Control, Guiyang (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.de Vries, E., Subbarao, K.: Cooperative control of swarms of unmanned aerial vehicles. In: 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando (2011)Google Scholar