Wave Resonance Between Multiple Side-by-Side Boxes Under Wave Action
Three types of numerical models are employed in this work, including the conventional flow model, the viscous flow model and the modified potential flow model with damping coefficient, to investigate the gap resonance phenomena. Numerical simulations show that the conventional flow model over-predicts the wave amplitude around the resonant frequency; while the viscous flow model can agree well with experimental results. Moreover, the modified potential flow model with appropriate damping coefficient is validated that it can also obtain accurate results by comparing with experimental results and viscous results. For the purpose of accuracy and high efficiency, the modified potential flow model with damping coefficient is further used to investigate the gap resonance phenomena in four- and five-box systems. Numerical results show that the number of resonant frequencies increase with the increase of the boxes number, generally. Besides, resonant phenomena can only be observed at low-order resonant frequencies, the phenomena at highest-order resonant frequency always disappear.
Keywordsresonance resonant frequencies viscous flow model modified potential flow model damping coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Engsig-Karup, A.P., 2006. Unstructured Nodal DG-FEM Solution of High-order Boussinesq-type Equations. PhD thesis. Technical University of Denmark.Google Scholar
- Iwata, H., Saitoh, T., Miao, G., 2007. Fluid resonance in narrow gaps of very large floating structure composed of rectangular modules. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Asian and Pacific Coasts, Nanjing, China, 815-826.Google Scholar
- Jasak, H., 1996. Error Analysis and Estimation for the Finite Volume Method with Applications to Fluid Flows. PhD thesis. Imperial College London (University of London).Google Scholar
- Lu, L., Teng, B., Cheng, L., Sun, L., Chen, X., 2011. Modelling of multi-bodies in close proximity under water waves-Fluid resonance in narrow gaps. Science China Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy. 54 (1), 16-25.Google Scholar
- Moradi, N., Numerical simulation of fluid resonance in the narrow gap of twin bodies in close proximity. PhD thesis, The University of Western Australia, Perth(Australia), 2015.Google Scholar
- Rusche, H., 2003. Computational Fluid Dynamics of Dispersed Two-phase Flows at High Phase Fractions. PhD thesis. Imperial College London (University of London).Google Scholar
- Saitoh, T., Miao, G., Ishida, H., 2006, Theoretical Analysis on Appearance Condition of Fluid Resonance in a Narrow Gap between Two Modules of Very Large Floating Structure. In: Proceedings of the Third Asia-Pacific Workshop on Marine Hydrodynamics, Shanghai, China, 170-175.Google Scholar