Disappearance of Sandy Beach on Ba Lang Beach in Nha Trang and its Recovery by Beach Nourishment
On Ba Lang Beach in Nha Trang, Vietnam, the beach has been narrowed owing to land reclamation along the shoreline to construct a coastal road. The process of this artificial alteration was studied using satellite images, then the BG model (a model for predicting three-dimensional beach changes based on Bagnold’s concept) was used to investigate the feasibility of beach nourishment to recover the sandy beach. It was concluded that if we can procure the beach material of 6×104 m3, a sandy beach of 24 m width can be recovered at the central part of the beach nourishment area.
KeywordsNha Trang Ba Lang Beach land reclamation beach nourishment BG model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kobayashi, A., Uda. T., and Noshi, Y. (2017). Erosion of Cai River mouth in Nha Trang, Vietnam, Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Asian and Pacific Coasts (APAC2017), pp. 548-559.Google Scholar
- Serizawa, M., Uda, T., San-nami, T., and Furuike, K. (2006). Three-dimensional model for predicting beach changes based on Bagnold’s concept, Proc. 30th ICCE, pp. 3155-3167.Google Scholar
- Thanh, T. M., Tanaka, H., Viet, N. T., Mitobe, Y., and Hoang, V. C. (2015). Evaluation of longshore sediment transport on Nha Trang coast considering influence of northeast monsoon waves, J. JSCE, Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering), Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. I_1681-I_1686.Google Scholar
- Uda, T. (2017). Japan’s Beach Erosion - Reality and Future Measures, 2nd ed., World Scientific, p. 530.Google Scholar
- Uda, T., Serizawa, M., and Miyahara, S. (2018). Morphodynamic model for predicting beach changes based on Bagnold’s concept and its applications, INTEC, London, p.188, UK. https://www.intechopen.com/books/morphodynamic-model-for-predicting-beach-changes-based-on-bagnold-s-concept-and-its-applicationsCrossRefGoogle Scholar