Monitoring and Early Warning Technology for Internal Cracks of Railhead Based on Lamb Wave
- 31 Downloads
In order to solve the difficulties of rail detection (such as low timeliness, poor reliability, and high dependence on manual inspection), this paper proposes a monitoring and early warning technology for internal cracks of railhead. Through the finite element simulations of Lamb wave and practical experiments of rail cutting, the data for driving algorithms can be obtained. On the basis of using Shannon Wavelet Transform (SWT) to extract the first arrival wave and Hilbert-Huang Transform (HHT) to analyze its time-frequency properties, this paper presents an innovative triple-threshold judgment method. It sets up three lines of defence to decline the impact of environmental factors. Empirical results show that this technology can effectively monitor and warn the internal cracks of railhead under a low false alarm rate. The sensitivity is 2 mm, which meets the needs of practical engineering and makes up for the gap in rail structure health monitoring.
KeywordsLamb wave SWT HHT Triple-threshold judgment SHM
The paper is partial support by National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFB1201601) and Beijing Municipal Commission of Education Social Science Foundation (SM201810005002).
- 1.Rose JL. Ultrasonic waves in solid media (2000).Google Scholar
- 6.Zenghua L, Xuejian F, Cunfu H, Bin W. Quantitative rectangular notch detection of laser-induced lamb waves in aluminium plates with wavenumber analysis (2018). 2:244–255.Google Scholar
- 9.Hinders M, Bingham J. Lamb wave pipe coating disbond detection using the dynamic wavelet fingerprinting technique (2010). 1211(1):615–622.Google Scholar
- 10.Dai X, Lu C, Chen G. Numerical simulation analyses on thick wall pipe with radial cracks using circumferential lamb wave, vol. 590;(2014). pp. 105–109.Google Scholar
- 12.Hayashi T, Miyazaki Y, Murase M, Abe T. Guided wave inspection for bottom edge of rails (2007). 894(1):169–176.Google Scholar
- 13.Rose JL, Avioli MJ Jr, Cho Y. Elastic wave analysis for broken rail detection (2002). 615(1):1806–1812.Google Scholar
- 17.Han J-B, Cheng J-C, Berthelot Y. Wavelet analysis of ultrasonic lamb waves excited by pulsed laser in a composite plate;1999. pp. 695–701.Google Scholar
- 18.Haiyan Z, Jianbo Y, Xiuli S, Xianhua C, Yaping C. Analysis of lamb wave signal using Hilbert-Huang transform. J Vib Measure Diagn (2010). 3.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhao J, Wei Q, Yuan Y, Zhi D. Finite element simulation of crack damage of a metal sheet with lamb waves. Piezoelectr Acoustoopt (2013). 35(3):320–324+.Google Scholar
- 20.Ni J, Yu Y. Research on damage location of gfrp composites based on Morlet wavelet analysis. pp. 1907–1911.Google Scholar