Report on the Development of the Hainan Special Economic Zone
According to the main economic characteristics of the development of the Hainan Special Economic Zone in 2016 and the analysis of the development of 18 cities and counties in the three major regions of Hainan Province through the construct of the coefficient of variation, it could be found that the overall economic development of Hainan in 2016 showed a stable and increasing trend, but there was unbalanced development among regions. The economic structure of Hainan was continuously optimized. The tertiary industry developed rapidly, but it was also the main reason for the differences in the regional development. Fixed asset investments, industrial production, and consumer goods markets maintained steady growth, but the coefficient of variation was greater than 1.6, indicating that the development of these cities and counties was unbalanced in these fields. Accordingly, Hainan Province should actively intensify reforms, promote industrial transformation and upgrading, and make full use of its strengths and overcome shortcomings, promote balanced economic development with innovation as the driving force and further improve the quality of economic development.
KeywordsHainan special economic zone Coefficient of variation Unbalanced development
- Chen, T. (2011). Problems in the regional economic development of Hainan and countermeasures. Journal of Yangtze University (Social Sciences), 5.Google Scholar
- Economic Operations of Hainan. (2016). http://hainan.gov.cn.
- Luo, H., & He, G. (2013). Exploration on the transformation of government functions in the building of a new economic developmental model of Hainan. Special Zone Economy, 10, 21–24.Google Scholar
- The Hainan Bureau of Statistics and the National Bureau of Statistics of the China Hainan Survey General Team, “Monthly Statistics of Hainan in December 2016”.Google Scholar
- The Hainan Bureau of Statistics and the National Bureau of Statistics of the China Hainan Survey General Team, “2016 Statistical Communiqué on the National Economic and Social Development of Hainan”, February 10, 2017.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y. (2015). Recognizing and practicing the new concepts of Hainan’s economic development. The New Orient, 03, 55–59.Google Scholar
- Yan, J. (2011). Advantage analysis and developmental exploration of the Hainan special zone. Special Zone Economy, 03, 268–270.Google Scholar