Influence of Air Curtain Characteristics on the Capture Performance of Range Hood
- 235 Downloads
Range hood is a common ventilation appliance applied in a kitchen for maintaining healthy environment. This paper numerically studied the effect of air curtain on capture performance of a range hood, which was equipped in a residential kitchen chamber of 3.5 m * 2.7 m * 2.4 m. Two key parameters of air curtain, air-supply velocity and angle were investigated for improving the capture performance with CFD methods. Only when both the air-supply velocity and angle were well defined simultaneously, could the range hood have a good capture performance. When air-supply angle is 4°, air-supply velocity is recommended at 2.0–2.5 m/s. When air-supply velocity is 4.5 m/s, air-supply angle is recommended at 10°–14°. In the above situation, the range hood has better capture performance. The findings showed that the air curtain with reasonable air-supply velocity and angle could effectively improve the capture performance of range hood and protect the cook.
KeywordsRange hood Air curtain CFD simulation
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51578387).
- 5.Swierczyna, R.T., et al.: Capture and containment ventilation rates for double-island canopy hoods. Ashrae Trans. 99(99), 714–726 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, X., et al.: Numerical analysis on thermal environment evaluation in kitchen with range hood. J. Xi’an Jiaotong Univ. 47(3), 120–125 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, R.F., et al.: Improving flow and spillage characteristics of range hoods by using an inclined air-curtain technique. Ann. Occup. Hyg. 55(2), 164–179 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhu, P.G., et al.: Numerical simulation and test on smoke of residential kitchen. J. PLA Univ. Sci. Technol. 7(2), 153–156 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, G., et al.: Numerical simulation research on upward air supply curtain of lampblack presser. J. Hunan Univ. Technol. 23(1), 24–27 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, J., et al.: Numerical simulation analysis on the effects of lampblack presser with air curtain. Build. Energy Environ. 35(2), 42–44 (2016)Google Scholar