Use Side-Supply Airflow to Enhance Heat Transfer of Radiant Heating Ceilings for Producing a Better Indoor Thermal Environment in Winter: A Simulation Study
- 202 Downloads
Radiant cooling/heating systems have advantages of high-comfortability and energy-saving, whereas a certain building usually adopts one type of radiant surfaces (e.g., only radiant ceilings) rather than two or more simultaneously to save initial investment. Radiant ceilings are a kind of common-used radiant systems, which has been widely demonstrated to be effective in summer. While in winter, radiant heating ceilings mainly heat the upper body parts of occupants and the warm air still stays in the upper space of a room. The aim of this research is to produce a better indoor environment of a room with radiant heating ceilings by using side-supply airflow. Four typical conditions were selected to be simulated with ANSYS Fluent. The obtained result showed the system had more uniform air temperature and the air velocity level of was below the 0.2 m/s in most of the occupant zone when two-side-supply airflow and radiant heating ceilings were used simultaneously. In addition, it could create a superior indoor environment by increasing air temperature and reducing air speed.
KeywordsRadiant heating ceiling Thermal environment CFD simulation
This research was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Number 51878255).
- 2.ASHRAE: ASHRAE, Handbook-Fundamentals, Panel Heating and Cooling. Atlanta (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Wilkins, C.K., Kosonen, R.: Cool ceiling system: a European air-conditioning alternative. ASHRAE J., 41–45 (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Li. N., Sun. Y., Qian. J., Su. L., Zhang. X.: Investigation on performance of radiant cooling combined with wall-attached-jet system. J. Hunan Univ. (Nat. Sci.), 42, 119–124Google Scholar
- 5.Di., H., Wang., W., Jiang., Y., Ge., Q.: Experiment of radiant ceiling. Heating Vent. Air, 5–8 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Tian, Z., Wang, S., Zhu, N., Zhang, C.: Performance and thermal comfort of chilled ceiling system in heating mode. J. Tianjin Univ. 43, 1109–1114 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, K., Zhou, X., Zhang, E., Zhang, X., Gong, S., Wang, Q.: Experimental study on indoor environment comfort of radiant ceiling and displacement ventilation system in winter. Fluid Mach. 39, 54–58+86 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.European Committee for Standardization: ISO 7730–2005, Ergonomics of the Thermal Environment. Brussels (2005)Google Scholar