Discussion on the Characteristics of Preschool Childhood Asthma Recovery in the Short Term
- 241 Downloads
Studies have illustrated that 100,000 people around the world die of asthma due to indoor air pollution every year, 35% of whom are children. Indoor air quality is evidently influenced by building characteristics, such as ambient environment and decoration materials. In this paper, we analysed the relationship between building characteristics and the asthma recovery rate among four groups of children who were selected as the participants in a cross-sectional survey during 2011–2012 (Phase I) and a case-control study during 2013–2014 (Phase II) conducted by CCHH (China, Children, Homes, Health) in Shanghai. Pearson’s chi-square was applied to investigate the significance. The results suggested that the asthma recovery rate was approximately 65% for children living near traffic or a waterfront. Because preschool children are still growing, most recovery rates were over 50%. These findings could attract public attention to building characteristics and provide references for protecting children’s health.
KeywordsBuilding characteristics Childhood asthma Recovery rate
This work is financially supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2017YFC0702700), National Natural Science Foundation of China (51708347) and Shanghai Sailing Program (17YF1412800, 18YF1418200). Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in this study and appropriate permissions from residences owner were obtained for our study.
- 1.Anderson, H.R.: Global map of the prevalence of symptoms of rhino conjunctivitis in children: the international study of asthma and allergies in childhood (ISAAC) Phase Three. Allergy 64(1), 123–148 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, Y.: The impact of modern environmental pollution on children’s health and growth. Chinese J. Child Health 13(4), 344–346 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Yang, Y.: Age distribution of childhood allergic diseases and correlation survey in Wuhan city. Matern. Child Health Care China 32(19), 4788–4791 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, L.: Research on green office environment design for decompression of “working workers”. Northern Lit. (7), 148–149 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Gong, J.: Deep cultivation stock room refurbished market is the foundation of home business development. China Consum. News 06(014) (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Lou, S.: Discussion on indoor asthma induced by poor indoor decoration. China Children’s Health Mag. 18(5), 420–422 (2010)Google Scholar