A Communication Challenges and Framework for the Control and Monitoring of Autonomous Ship
Recently, an autonomous ship becomes an important issue in the maritime industry. An autonomous ship should be monitored and controlled remotely, i.e. from the shore control center. Since the duty of a human is reduced or eliminated, the safe remote operations of the ship becomes an important issue. For this, the safe and reliable communication from the shore to ship is important. In this paper, we address some communication challenges related with autonomous ship and a propose a message management framework for the autonomous ship which manage the location of the ship and provide the seamless connection among communication parties. It also provides the group communication and QoS.
KeywordsAutonomous ship Remote control Location management Seamless communication Group communication
- 1.Rødseth, Ø.J., Lee, K.: A taxonomy of autonomous merchant ship. In: International Symposium on Maritime Technology 2017, Busan (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, K.: A remote control and monitoring based on common maritime data structure for autonomous ship. In: International Symposium on Maritime Technology 2017, Busan (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Rødseth, Ø.J., May, P., Ehrlich, Kvamstad, B., Porathe, T.: Communication architecture for an unmanned merchant ship. In: IEEE Oceans 2013. IEEE Press, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Höyhtyä, M., Huusko, J., Kiviranta, M., Solberg, K., Rokka, J.: Connectivity for autonomous ships: architecture, use cases and research challenges. In: 8th International Conference on ICT Convergence, October 2017 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Poikonen, J.: Ship communication challenges for autonomous and remote-controlled vessels. European Maritime Day (2016)Google Scholar