Overview of Data Deduplication Technology in a Cloud Storage Environment
Data deduplication technology involves improving the data storage efficiency while storing and managing large amounts of data. Data deduplication reduces storage requirements by determining whether replicated data is being added to the storage, and thereby omitting the data upload if the same data already exists. Data deduplication requires data confidentiality and integrity when being applied in a cloud storage environment, and therefore various security measures such as encryption are needed. However, common encryption technologies generally cannot be applied simultaneously with data deduplication owing to the inherent inability to transform the source data. Various studies have been conducted for addressing the said issues. This paper discusses the basic environment of data deduplication technology. It also analyzes and compares multiple proposed techniques for addressing security threats.
KeywordsDate deduplication Security Encryption Cloud storage
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (NRF-2016R1D1A1B03935917) and Barun ICT Research Center at Yonsei University.
- 1.Storer, M.W., et al.: Secure data deduplication. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Workshop on Storage Security and Survivability. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Douceur, J.R., Adya, A., Bolosky, W.J., Simon, P., Theimer, M.: Reclaiming space from duplicate files in a serverless distributed file system. In: 2002 22nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems. Proceedings, pp. 617–624. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Bellare, M., Keelveedhi, S., Ristenpart, T.: DupLESS: server-aided encryption for deduplicated storage. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 429 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaaniche, N., Laurent, M.: A secure client side deduplication scheme in cloud storage environments. In: 6th International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security, NTMS 2014, pp. 1–7 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Puzio, P., Molva, R., Onen, M., Loureiro, S.: ClouDedup: secure deduplication with encrypted data for cloud storage. In: 2013 IEEE 5th International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), pp. 363–370. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Puzio, P., Molva, R., Önen, M., Loureiro, S.: PerfectDedup: secure data deduplication. In: Data Privacy Management, and Security Assurance, pp. 150–166. Springer, ChamGoogle Scholar