Remote Block Heater Controller
In general, an engine block heater helps the engine start and reduces fuel consumption and engine wear. Block heaters are electric heating elements that warm up the engine via different methods depending on the specific design. It prevents the coolant from gelling or freezing and stops the oil from turning into tar. In regions with cold winter private and public parking lots provide an electrical outlet for the car’s block heater. Typically, the electrical outlet’s heating timer is set manually. In this paper, we propose an IoT element to the existing electrical outlets that enable the heating timer to be set up remotely with automated heating time.
KeywordsBlock heater controller IoT cloud service Real time clock Thingspeak Remote controller
This work is result of a study on the “Leader in Industry-university Cooperation +” Project, which is supported by the Korean Ministry of Education.
- 1.Block heater (2018). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater
- 2.Finland: How to survive winter in Finland and enjoy it. https://finland.fi/life-society/how-to-survive-winter-in-finland-and-enjoy-it/
- 3.International Energy Agency (IEA) HEV: Finland – Charging infrastructure. http://www.ieahev.org/by-country/finland-charging-infrastructure/
- 4.Insideevs: Car Machine Warming Solutions in Winter. https://insideevs.com/finland-has-a-genius-charging-solution-for-evs-use-existing-block-heater-poles-video/
- 5.Arduino Uno: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno
- 6.How to Mechatronics: DS3231-real time clock tutorial: https://howtomechatronics.com/tutorials/arduino/arduino-ds3231-real-time-clock-tutorial/
- 7.Adafruit Website: Tmp36 temperature sensor. https://learn.adafruit.com/tmp36-temperature-sensor/overview
- 8.Instructables Website: Relay Module. http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-2-Channel-Relay/
- 9.Arduino Website: Arduino Ethernet Shield. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoEthernetShield
- 10.Blum, J.: Exploring Arduino, IT Cookbook (2014)Google Scholar