Simplified Deterministic Finite Automata Construction Algorithm from Language Specification
Deterministic Finite Automata (DFA) has several real-life applications. It is a useful tool in diversified areas like pattern matching, pattern recognition, control theory, text editors, lexical analyzer, and models of software interfaces. Several methods are developed to construct a DFA using Regular Expression (RE), set of strings, derivations in RE and regular grammar. The motivation for this paper is the observation that students find DFA construction as a tedious task in the early stage of learning. This paper provides a simple solution to the standard computation-theory problem that asks a student to construct a DFA for given language description (i.e., validation rules). The presented paper keeps the concerns of beginner level students at the core.
KeywordsDeterministic Finite Automata Regular expression Validation rules
Authors thank the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), New Delhi for granting Visvesvaraya Ph.D. fellowship through file no. PhD-MLA\(\backslash \)4(34)\(\backslash \)201-1 Dated: 05/11/2015.
- 5.Brzozowski, J.A., Davies, S., Madan, A.: State complexity of pattern matching in finite automata. arXiv preprint arXiv:1806.04645 (2018)
- 8.Kumar, K.S., Malathi, D.: A novel method to construct deterministic finite automata from a given regular grammar. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res. 6(3), 106–111 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Martin, J.C.: Introduction to Languages and the Theory of Computation, vol. 4. McGraw-Hill, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Ruikar, D.D., Hegadi, R.S.: Simple DFA construction algorithm using divide-and-conquer approach. In: Nagabhushan, P., Guru, D.S., Shekar, B.H., Kumar, Y.H.S. (eds.) Data Analytics and Learning. LNNS, vol. 43, pp. 245–255. Springer, Singapore (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2514-4_21CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tie, Y., Qiang, X., Jin, H.: A grouping algorithm based on regular expression similarity for DFA construction. In: 2011 IEEE 13th International Conference on Communication Technology (ICCT), pp. 671–674. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Zafar, N.A., Alsaade, F.: Syntax-tree regular expression based DFA formalconstruction. Intell. Inf. Manage. 4(04), 138 (2012)Google Scholar