E-leadership Using WhatsApp, A Challenge for Navy Organizations: An Empirical Study
Leadership is a fundamental characteristic of naval–military strategy. However, the development of information and communication technologies (ICTs) has led to the leadership being complemented by an emerging paradigm called e-leadership. Therefore, it is interesting to evaluate this paradigm in a naval–military organization where they are currently using WhatsApp as a tool to issue and follow up on dispositions. Considering the perspectives of technology, communication, and trust proposed by Avolio (Organ. Dyn. 2003, ), He et al. (E-leadership strategy in virtual organizations and virtual teams, 2008, ) and Liu et al. (Leadersh. Organ. Dev. J. 39(7):826–843, 2018, ), a survey is applied to Lieutenant Commanders and Lieutenants of the organization. The results evidence a questionable use of e-leadership over WhatsApp. However, e-leadership fails to be effective due to the conflicts that are complicated to mitigate even in the traditional leadership of the organization.
KeywordsLeadership E-leadership Naval Conflict WhatsApp
This work was supported by the Academia de Guerra Naval - Armada del Ecuador and Dirección General de Educación y Doctrina and sponsored by Universidad de las Fuerzas Armadas ESPE.
- 1.Aggarwal, A.: E-leadership-a new and modern style of leadership. IJAME (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Avolio, B.J., Kahai, S.S.: Adding the e to e-leadership: how it may impact your leadership. Organ. Dyn. (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Bass, L., Israel, M.S.: Modeling ethical leadership: being an ethical leader means modeling principles of self-awareness, reflective practice, transparency, and ethical behavior. In: Developing Ethical Principles for School Leadership, pp. 29–49. Routledge (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Creswell, J.W., Clark, V.L.P.: Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.He, R., et al.: E-leadership strategy in virtual organizations and virtual teams (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Punter, T., Ciolkowski, M., Freimut, B., John, I.: Conducting on-line surveys in software engineering. In: Proceedings of 2003 International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering, ISESE 2003, pp. 80–88. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar