Experimental Validation of Fully Informed Particle Swarm Optimization Tuned Multi-Loop L-PID Controllers for Stabilization of Gantry Crane System
Linear PID controllers are commonly used as an electrical component to decrease the error between anticipated set value and actual measured values for control of various benchmarked systems. The Multi-Loop Linear PID (ML-PID) controller, gives a robust and efficient performance in most of the situations. This paper presents the implementation of linear PID controller to stabilize and control the Gantry Crane System. Optimal performance is obtained for a few specific combinations of the proportional, integral, and derivative gains, which makes it essential to tune these values through Optimization techniques. The Fully Informed Particle Swarm Optimizer (FIPSO) is used to tune the gain values of the ML-PID controlled Gantry Crane System. These values are validated experimentally, and obtained results prove that the FIPSO tuned multi-loop linear PID controller quickly stabilizes the system subjected to external disturbances.
KeywordsMulti-Loop linear PID (ML-PID) Fully Informed Particle Swarm Optimization (FIPSO) Gantry crane system
The authors would like to thank the Govt. of India and Govt. NCT Delhi for providing funding through Delhi Technological University under TEQIP-II to procure Digital Pendulum System Experimental Setup.
- 2.Gao, Y., et al.: Multi-objective opposition-based learning fully informed particle swarm optimizer with favour ranking. In: Proceedings—2013 IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing, GrC 2013, pp. 114–119 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Jaafar, H.I., Mohamed, Z., Abidin, A.F.Z., Ab Ghani, Z.: PSO-tuned PID controller for a nonlinear gantry crane system. In: IEEE International Conference on Control System, Computing and Engineering, pp. 23–25, Penang, Malaysia (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Reynoso Meza, G., et al.: Controller tuning by means of multi-objective optimization algorithms: a global tuning framework. IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 21(2), 445–458 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Valluru, S.K., et al.: Comparative analysis of PID, NARMA L-2 and PSO tuned PID controllers for nonlinear dynamical system. J. Autom. Syst. Eng. 9(2), 94–108 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Valluru, S.K.: Introduction to Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic & Genetic Algorithms. Jaico Publishing House, Mumbai (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Valluru, S.K., Singh, M.: Metaheuristic tuning of linear and nonlinear PID controllers to nonlinear mass spring damper system. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. 12(10), 2320–2328 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhao, J., et al.: Application of particle swarm optimization algorithm on robust PID controller tuning. In: Wang, L., Chen, K., Ong, Y.S. (eds.) Advances in Natural Computation, pp. 948–957. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar