Analysis of Steam Turbine Blade Failure Causes
The steam turbine blade is generally failed due to crack which is effect of fatigue, corrosion, pitting and creep. A various researchers have done the failure investigation of steam turbine blades and its reveal the common failure mechanisms which are revived in this paper. A various case studies are tried to summarize here which will be helpful for giving idea for life enhancement of blade. This investigation deals with the recent various failures especially in the low pressure steam turbine blades which show varying load conditions, vibrations, pitting, corrosion and fatigue are causes for crack initiation leads to failure.
KeywordsSteam turbine blade Crack Fatigue failure Corrosion
The Author is grateful to Mr. Hemant Bari, member of condition monitoring society of India for giving valuable knowledge related to steam turbine blade.
- 6.Bhagi, K.L., Ratogi, V., Gupta, P.: A brief review on failure of turbine blades. In: Proceedings of STME-2013 Smart Technologies for Mechanical Engineering, pp. 1–8 (2013). https://doi.org/10.13140/rg.2.1.4351.3768
- 8.Sz, J.K., et al.: Failure analysis of the L-0 steam turbine blade. In: Proceedings of IJPGC 2003, pp. 1–5 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Xing, H., Wu, D., Zhang, L., Xu, M.: Steam turbine blade MMM testing and failure analysis 141, 2561–2564 (2010). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.139-141.2561CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Patel, T.K., Sen, P.K.: Review on common failure of steam turbine blade. IJR 2, 137–141 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Farhangi, H., Fouladi Moghadam, A.A.: Fractographic investigation of the failure of second stage gas turbine blades. In: Proceedings of 8th International Fracture Conference, 7–9 November 2007, Istambul, Turkey (2007)Google Scholar