A Corrosion Study of Steel in Ferro-cement
Ferro-cement can be define as the compound material which consist of cement, sand, water, admixtures, galvanizes steel mesh and skeleton steels. It is a cement mortar which is reinforced with closely space steel mesh wire. Ferro-cement is one form of reinforced concrete which differs from conventional reinforced concrete or prestressed concrete primarily by the manner in which the reinforcing elements are arranged and dispersed. Ferro-cement element are not only very thin but also the cover provided to elements very small which may make them more susceptible to corrosion. A number of literatures have been studied and analyzed to understand the factors that can affect the durability of ferro-cement and RC structures with references to corrosion. The present paper describes experiment conducted on ferro-cement panels for corrosion assessment and its effect over the durability of panel. From study it was found that normal corrosion of steel requires long time so acceleration corrosion testing is must to save time and to get effective result for prediction of service life period.
KeywordsFerro-cement Corrosion Panels Acceleration corrosion
- 1.Mansur, M.A., Maalej, M., Ismail, M.: Study on corrosion durability of ferro-cement. ACI (American Concrete Institude) Mater. J. 105(1), 28–34 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Nedwell, P.J., Damola, O.O., Stevens, N.: Corrosion in ferro-cement. In: 11th International Symposium on Ferrocement and Textile Reinforced Concrete 3rd ICTRC, pp. 267–273. University of Manchester (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Balaguru, P.N., Soroushian, P., Arockiasamy, M., Daniel, J., Mansur, M., Paramasivam, P., Wecharatana, M., Ahmad, S.H., Gale, D.M., Mobasher, B., Reddy Robert, D.V., Williamson, B., Zellers Gordon, C., Batson, B., Hackman, L., Naaman, A.E., Shah, S.P., Zollo, R.F., Castro, J.O., Iorns, M.E., Nanni, A., Swamy, N., Zubieta, R.C.: State of the Art Report on Ferrocement (Reported by ACI Committee 549), ACI 549R-97Google Scholar
- 6.Bhalgamiya, S., Tivadi, G., Jethva, M.: Techniques for accelerated corrosion test of steel concrete for determine durability. IRJET J. (2018). ISSN 2395-0072Google Scholar
- 7.Akhtar, S., Daniyal, Md., Quraishi, M.A.: A review of corrosion control methods in ferrocement. J. Steel Struct. Const. (2015). https://doi.org/10.4172/2472-0437.1000103