Seismic Response Control of Unsymmetrical RCC Framed Building Using Base Isolation Considering Soil Structure Interaction
In passive energy dissipation systems used for earthquake resistant structures, base isolation is one of the most powerful systems. For understanding the effect of base isolation system, G + 5 storey models are considered with planner asymmetry. Lead rubber isolator is used for controlling the response of building during earthquake effects and tremors. The paper deals with behavior of fixed base and isolated building in terms of natural time period, top floor acceleration, storey drift, base reaction and energy dissipation. The Non-linear Time history analysis has been performed by using FEM based software SAP2000. The paper also includes the effect of soil structure interaction on both fixed base and isolated base building. It was observed that with use of isolators, time period of structure becomes double as compared with the fixed base model. The soil parameters also plays vital role in performance of isolators.
KeywordsLead rubber isolator Seismic response Soil-structure interaction
- 2.Monfared, H., Shirvani, A., Nwaubani, S.: An investigation into the seismic base isolation from practical perspective. Int. J. Civil Struct. Eng. J. 3, 451–463 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Chandak, N.R.: Effect of base isolation on the response of reinforced concrete building. J. Civil Eng. Res. 3, 135–142 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Anilduke, S., Khedikar, A.: Comparison of building for seismic response by using base isolation. Int. J. Res. Eng. Technol. (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Yin, B.: The Effect of Soil Structure Interaction on the Behavior of Base Isolated Structures. Duke University (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Raj, D.: Non-linear Static Analysis of Building-Foundation System considering Soil-Structure Interaction using SAP 2000 v 14. Research Scholar, Department of Earthquake Engineering, IIT RoorkeeGoogle Scholar