India May Join and Benefit from the BRI: A Chinese View
The initial reaction to the India’s criticism and rejection of BRI was Chinese officials attempt to convince India about the benefits of joining the BRI. It is depicted as an economic initiative from which Indian industries can benefit from. But Chinese officials find it impossible to explain the difference between existing economic relations between India and China and what difference will it make if India said that it will join the BRI. Under the frame work of the BRI narrative, Chinese scholars discussed at length Indian initiatives which can be linked up with BRI, such as BCIM. Chinese experts deliberated on India’s counter initiatives such as Mausam and called for the linking up of these initiatives. However, Chinese scholars also warned India not to put hurdles for the BRI.
KeywordsBRI India China Economic benefits BCIM, 1962 war, Hurdles
- BCIM economic cooperation forum opens in Myanmar. 2009. Xinhua General News Service. July 23.Google Scholar
- Bei kun yin du de zhong guo lao bing po qie xiang hui guo zai yin hua ren zhi you 5000 ren wei he Zhong guo ren bu xiang liu zai yindu? [Chinese soldier trapped in India eager to return to China, India have only 5000 Chinese people. Why don’t Chinese want to stay in India?]. 2017. HBTV.com.cn, February 7. http://news.hbtv.com.cn/p/502288.html. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- Chinese man trapped in India goes home after 50 years. 2017. BBC, February 11. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-38928217. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- Chinese premier calls for substantial progress in China-India cooperation. 2013. CRI. May 20. http://english.cri.cn/6909/2013/05/20/2561s765935.htm. Accessed December 16, 2017.
- Di er jie K2K guo ji yan tao hui [The Second K2K International Seminar]. 2005. Yunnan Jingji nianjian 2005 [Yunnan Economic Year Book 2005]. Xian Zhuang shuju [Thread-Binding Books Publishing House]. (September, 2005): 221–222.Google Scholar
- Gongchuan, Yang, Li Hongfeng, Luo Rongchan and Zu Gongbing. K2K he zuo ji zhi da jian he zuo xin ping tai [K2K cooperation mechanism builds a new platform for cooperation]. Yunnan Ribao [Yunnan Daily]. 011 Edition, (December 2): 1–2.Google Scholar
- Government to establish cross cultural linkages with 39 Indian Ocean Countries under Project Mausam. 2015. Press Information Bureau, Government Of India. March 9. http://www.indiaculture.nic.in/sites/default/files/events/Project%20Mausam.pdf. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- Hongliang, Liu. 2016. luelun Zhong Yin bian jie wen ti de xian zhuang ji qi yingxiang [A brief account on the current situation and the impact of the boundary issue between China and India.]. Xinan shiyou daxue xuebao (shehui kexue ban) [Journal of Southwest Petroleum University (Social Sciences Edition)] Vol. 18, No. 2 (March): 54–59.Google Scholar
- Hui, Guan. 2016. “yi dai yi lu” jian she bei jing xia Zhong Yin guan xi fa zhan xin ji yu de si kao [Reflecting on new opportunities for the progress of the China-India relations under the background of the construction of “One Belt and One Road”]. Guangxi shehui kexue [Guangxi Social Sciences] No. 12 (December): 149–152.Google Scholar
- Jianxue, Lan. 2017. “yi dai yi lu” chang yi zai nan ya jin zhan tiao zhan ji fang xian” [One Belt One Road Initiative in South Asia: Progress, Challenges and Direction]. China Institute of International Studies. July 3. http://www.ciis.org.cn/chinese/2017-07/03/content_9551000.htm. Accessed December 16, 2017.
- Li, Mo. 2016. “yid ai yi lu”: Yindu “jian jin shi” can yu he zuo huo ke qi [One Belt One Road: India gradually or soon participate and cooperate]. Jinrong shibao [Financial Times]. July 23.Google Scholar
- Lijun, Chen and Yang Kai. 2016. “yi dai yi lu” bei jing xia de Zhong Yin chan neng he zuo [Production capacity cooperation between China and India in the context of One Belt And One Road]. Xueshu Tansuo [Academic Exploration] No. 10 (October): 36–43.Google Scholar
- Lingling, Zhang, Liu Hua and Jia Hanlong. 2013. Li’s visit opens new chapter in China-Pakistan relations. CNTV, May 24. http://english.cntv.cn/20130524/101856.shtml. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- Lun, Yin. 2017. “yid ai yi lu” zhan lue bei jing xia yindu yu Zhong guo de zong jiao sheng tai wen hua jiao liu [Religious ecological culture exchange among China and India in the context of “One Belt One Road” Strategy]. Yuan shengtai minzu wenhua xuekan [Journal of Original Ecological National Culture] Vol. 9, issue 1 (January–March): 106–110.Google Scholar
- Modi tui Yindu ban “Yi dai Yi lu” yu yu Zhong guo zheng duo dui si li lan ka ying xiang li [Modi is pushing the Indian version of One Belt And One Road to compete with China for influence in Sri Lanka]. 2017. Cankao xiaoxi wang [Reference News network] May 25. http://www.cankaoxiaoxi.com/world/20170525/2039080.shtml. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- Mukherjee, Bhaswati. 2014. International recognition of India’s world heritage – New, exciting projects on anvil. Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. July 10, 2014, http://www.mea.gov.in/in-focus-article.htm?23601/International+recognition+of+Indias+world+heritage++New+exciting+projects+on+anvil. Accessed November 24, 2017.
- President Xi Jinping Delivers Important Speech and Proposes to Build a Silk Road Economic Belt with Central Asian Countries. 2013. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s republic of China. September 7. http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/topics_665678/xjpfwzysiesgjtfhshzzfh_665686/t1076334.shtml. Accessed December 2, 2017.
- Project Mausam of M/O Culture. 2016. Press Information Bureau, Government of India, Ministry of Culture. April 25. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=141133. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- Project Mausam. 2016. Press Information Bureau, Government of India, Ministry of Culture. April 25. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=141133. Accessed January 30, 2018.
- Qinglong, Meng. 2017. Zhong Yin bian jie wen ti de qianshi jin sheng yu Zhongguo de heping fazhan [Past and Present of the China-India boundary issue and peaceful development of China]. Sichuan daxue xuebao (Zhexue shehui kexue ban) [Journal of Sichuan University (Social Science Edition)] No. 4 (July–August): 108–117.Google Scholar
- Quan shi jie zui zang luan cha de hua ren ju ji di: dang di hua ren fei chang pin qiong xian zai hen xiang hui Zhing guo [The world’s dirtiest Chinese gathering place: the local Chinese are very poor and want to go back to China]. 2017. Eastday.com, October 7. http://mini.eastday.com/a/171007235953921.html . Accessed December 15, 2017.
- Sagar Mala project-Back Ground. 2017. Ministry of Shipping, Government of India. December 27. http://sagarmala.gov.in/about-sagarmala/background. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- Sharma, Ritu. 2017. Project Mausam hits a Chinese wall. New Indian Express. January 8. http://www.newindianexpress.com/thesundaystandard/2017/jan/08/project-mausam-hits-a-chinese-wall-1557291.html. Accessed December 17, 2017.
- Shiyun, Fan. 2015. Yindu ren ren wei Yindu zhi shi “yi dai yi lu” de guo ke [India believes that India is only a passer-by country of the One Belt One Road]. 163.com, April 3. http://news.163.com/15/0403/09/AM92BOO900014SEH.html. Accessed December 2, 2017.
- Shujuan, Qin and Gu Yongfen. 2017. “yid ai yi lu” zhan lue xia de Zhong Yin wen hua mao yi he zuo wen ti yan jiu” [Cultural Trade Cooperation between China and India under the “One Belt, One Road” Initiative]. Shanghai shifan daxue xuebao (Zhexue shehui kexue ban) [Journal of Shanghai Normal University (Philosophy & Social Sciences Edition)] Vol. 46, No. 5 (September): 120–122.Google Scholar
- Siling, Yang, Ren Jia, and Wang Qinghua. 2014. Gou jian xin nan fang si chou zhi lu can yu “yi dai yi lu” jian she [Building of the new south silk road to participate in One Belt And One Road construction]. Yunnan shehui kexue [Social Sciences in Yunnan]. No. 3 (May–June): 1–6.Google Scholar
- Siling, Yang. 2015. Yindu ru he kan dai “yi dai yi lu” xia de Zhong Yin guan xi [How does India view the relationship between China and India under One Belt And One Road?]. Zhongguo shehui kexue wang [Chinese Social Sciences Net]. May 28. http://www.cssn.cn/zzx/201505/t20150528_2013295.shtml. Accessed December 5, 2017.
- Song, Zou. 2015. ji zhe zou fang yin zui da hua ren she qu: Yindu wei he liu bu zhu hua ren xin [Journalists visit the largest China Town in India: why can’t India retain Chinese hearts?]. Oversea.huanqiu.com. July 13. http://oversea.huanqiu.com/article/2015-07/6985218.html. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- The Chinese man trapped in India for half a century. 2017. BBC. January 31. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-38715056. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- Xian, Xiao. 2015. Zhong Yin zhi jian ying jin kuai xiao chu jiaoliu chizi [China and India should eliminate the “communication deficit” as soon as possible]. Shijie zhishi [World Affairs] No. 4 (February): 56–57.Google Scholar
- Yilu, Ma. 2015. “yi dai yi lu” shaengfa yilu xiang nan xin silu” [One Belt One Road develops a new way of thinking towards south], Renmin ribao haiwai ban [People’s Daily Overseas Edition]. December 8. http://paper.people.com.cn/rmrbhwb/html/2015-12/08/content_1639217.htm. Accessed January 6, 2018.
- Yin mei: ji feng ji hua shen zao Zhong guo zu nao zhuan jia: Yindu you zhan lue ye xin [Indian media: world cultural heritage application for Mausam Plan is blocked by China; Expert: India holds Strategic Wild ambitions]. 2017. www.guancha.cn. January 10. http://www.guancha.cn/Neighbors/2017_01_10_388614.shtml. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Yuanxi, Jia. 2018. Ya tou hang “zui da shou yi guo” shi yindu, Zhong guo chi kui le ma? [The biggest beneficiary of the AIIB is India: Did China suffered losses from it]. Cankao xiaoxi wang [Reference news network]. March 22. http://column.cankaoxiaoxi.com/2018/0322/2259300_2.shtml. Accessed April 6, 2018.
- Yuanyuan, Zhang. 2017. “yid ai yi lu” bei jing xia Zhong guo chaun tong jie ri de kua wen hua chuan bo fen xi – yi Zhong guo chun jie zai yindu de chuan bo wei li [Analysis of the trans-culture propagation of traditional Chinese festivals in the context of One Belt And One Road: An example of the propagation of Chinese New Year in India] Xinwen Yanjiu daokan [Journal of News Research] Vol. 8, No. 3 (February): 253–254.Google Scholar
- Yucheng, Le. 2015. Interview by Srinivasan Raman. Building ties for the 21st century. The Hindu, April 01. http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/building-ties-for-the-21st-century/article7054501.ece. Accessed February 6, 2018.
- Zhaohui, Luo. 2017. In My Eyes: India, Indians and India-China Relations. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of India. May 8. New Delhi. http://in.china-embassy.org/eng/embassy_news/t1459430.htm. Accessed February 7, 2018.
- ZhongYin na chang zhan zheng zhi hou yin du jing ran jian le zuo “hua ren ji zhong ying [After that China-India War India actually Built a “Chinese Concentration Camp”]. 2017. China.com. July 12. http://military.china.com/history4/62/20170712/30959911_all.html#page_2. Accessed December 15, 2017.
- Zhu, Cuiping. 2016. Geopolitical Considerations and the Modi Administration’s Development Strategy. In Rong Wang and Cuiping Zhu (eds.). Annual Report on the Development of the Indian Ocean Region (2016) Modi’s India. Singapore: Springer.Google Scholar