Where Is US Trade Policy Headed Under the Trump Administration?
The anti-globalisation rhetoric of candidate Donald Trump’s election campaign has shaped the trade policy of the new Administration. Bilateralism is the favoured approach but unilateral measures have also been taken to pursue the protectionist agenda. A number of trade policy actions have focused on China, inducing a trade war. The unrelenting opposition by the US to appointments to vacancies in the Appellate Body has caused a crisis in the WTO and given rise to doubts on its commitment to the rules based multilateral trading system.
- Daniels, J. (2018). Trump is giving farmers a $6 billion bailout so they can weather his trade war. CNBC, Retrieved March 28, 2019 from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/27/trump-farm-bailout-to-provide-6-billion-dollars-in-initial-relief.html.
- Gertz, G. (2017). What will Trump’s embrace of bilateralism mean for America’s trade partners? [Blog post]. February 8. Retrieved March 27, 2019 from https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2017/02/08/what-will-trumps-embrace-of-bilateralism-mean-for-americas-trade-partners/.
- Haddon, H. (2018). America can’t move its cheese. The Wall Street Journal. December 17. Retrieved March 27, 2019, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-cant-move-its-cheese-11545042600.
- Hillman, J. A. (2018). How to make the trade war even worse (Opinion), The New York Times, December 17. Retrieved March 27, 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/opinion/trade-war-china-wto.html.
- Lovely, M. E., Cohen-Setton, J., & Jung, E. (2018). Vehicular assault: Proposed auto tariffs will hit American buyers’ wallets, Policy Brief No. 18–16 July, Peterson Institute of International Economics, 1750 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Miranda, Jorge. (2016). More on why granting China market economy status after December 2016 is contingent upon whether china has in fact transitioned into a market economy. Global Trade and Customs Journal, 11(5), 244–250.Google Scholar
- Price Waterhouse Coopers (2017). Top suppliers: North America, Europe and the World. Supplement to Automotive News, June 26, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.magna.com/dics/default-source/2017-press-releases/automotive-news-top-suppliers-6–26-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=2 Accessed March 28, 2019.
- Schultz, M., Dziczek, K., Chen, Y., and Swiecki, B. (2019). U.S. Consumer & Economic Impacts of U.S. Automotive Trade Policies. Center for Automotive Research, Ann Arbor, MI.Google Scholar
- WTO (2018). Procedures to enhance transparency and strengthen notification requirements under WTO Agreements. General Council and Council for Trade in Goods. Documents JOB/GC/204 JOB/CTG/114 dated 1 November 2018.Google Scholar