ASEAN Qualification Reference Framework: Harmonization of ASEAN Higher Education Area
ASEAN has grown in membership, strength, progress and vision since it was set up in 1967. It is now geared towards the comprehensive goal of one unified identify. Towards this end, the recognition that peace and security, economic cum labour prosperity and sociocultural inclusion are essential to ASEAN was actualized in the Declaration of the ASEAN Concord (Bali Concord 11) enforced in 2008 and established the ASEAN Coordinating Council and Committee of Permanent Representatives. Due recognition is accorded to the fact that education is the tool that unifies and permeates into all three pillars. The developments along this line culminated ASEAN Qualification Reference Framework (2014) and in the Kuala Lumpur Declaration of Higher Education (2015). The progress towards and the success in implementation of a regional education framework will ultimately benefit all member states with high-quality capital essential for growth, unity, prosperity and peace intra-ASEAN and beyond.
- ASEAN (Association of South East Asian). 2016. ASEAN Guiding Principles for Quality Assurance and Recognition of Competency Certification System. Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat. https://asean.org/storage/2012/05/ASEAN-Guiding-Principles-for-Quality-Assurance-and-Recognition-of-Competency-Certification-Systems1.pdf.
- ASEAN. 2018a. “ASEAN Education Ministers Meeting (ASED).” Accessed April 14. http://asean.org/asean-socio-cultural/asean-education-ministers-meeting-ased/.
- ASEAN. 2018b. “ASEAN Qualification Reference Framework.” Accessed April 14, 2018. http://asean.org/storage/2017/03/ED-02-ASEAN-Qualifications-Reference-Framework-January-2016.pdf.
- ASEAN. 2018c. “ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework: Governance and Structure”. Accessed April 15, 2018. http://asean.org/storage/2017/03/ED-01-AQRF-Governance-and-Structure-document.pdf.
- ASEAN. 2018d. “ASEAN Quality Assurance Framework for Higher Education (AQAFHE).” Accessed April 15. https://www.chea.org/userfiles/…/ASEAN%20Quality%20Assurance%20Final-CIQG.p.
- ASEAN. 2018e. “ASEAN to Advance Vocational Education and Training.” Accessed May 25, 2018. http://asean.org/asean-to-advance-vocational-education-and-training/.
- ASEAN. 2018f. “Concludes Work Plan on Education 2016–2020.” Accessed April 14, 2018. http://asean.org/asean-concludes-work-plan-education-2016-2020/.
- ASEAN. 2018g. “Malaysia Assumes Chairmanship of ASEAN Education Ministers Meeting; Sets Direction for Next Five Years.” ASEAN Secretariat News. Accessed April 14, 2018. http://asean.org/malaysia-assumes-chairmanship-of-asean-education-ministers-meeting-sets-direction-for-next-five-years.
- ASED. 2016. “Joint Statement of the Ninth ASEAN Education Ministers Meeting (9th ASED)”. May 25. Selangor, Malaysia. Accessed April 14, 2018. http://asean.org/storage/2016/05/Joint-Statement-of-9th-ASED_25-May-2016_ADOPTED-2.pdf.
- UNESCO. 2012. “Asia-Pacific Regional Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education.” Accessed 14, 2018. http://www.unescobkk.org/education/higher-education/promotion-of-academic-mobility/asia-pacific-regional-convention-on-the-recognition-of-qualifications-in-higher-education-an-overview/.
- Bateman, Andrea, and Mike Coles. 2013. Qualifications Frameworks and Quality Assurance of Education and Training. Washington, DC: World Bank Group. Accessed August 17, 2018. https://olc.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/Qualifications%20frameworks%20and%20quality%20assurance%20of%20education%20and%20training_final.pdf.
- Bateman, Andrea, and Mike Coles. 2015. ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework and National Qualifications Frameworks: State of Play. Jakarta: SHARE-ASEAN Secretariat. http://asean.org/storage/2018/03/Guiding-Principles-for-Quality-Assurance-and-Recognition-of-Competency-C….pdf.
- Bateman, Andrea, Jack Keating, Shelley Gillis, Chloe Dyson, Gerald Burke, and Coles Mike. 2012. East Asia Summit Vocational Education and Training Quality Assurance Framework. Vol. II. Canberra: Australian Government.Google Scholar
- Bateman, Andrea, and Mike Coles. 2016. ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework and National Qualifications Frameworks State of Play Report Commissioned by SHARE (European Union Support to Higher Education in the ASEAN Region). The implementation of SHARE is entrusted to a consortium of British Council (leader), Campus France, DAAD, EP-Nuffic, ENQA, and EUA.Google Scholar
- Bautista, Maria Cynthia Rose Banzon. 2018. “ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework (AQRF): Context, Development and Implementation.” Accessed April 14, 2018. https://www.share-asean.eu/sites/default/files/SHARE-01_AQRF-and-CQF_Prof-Dr-Cynthia-Bautista.pdf.
- Burke, Gerald, Phillip McKenzie, Chandra Shah, Jack Keating, Alison Vickers, Rob Fearnside, and Andrea Bateman. 2009. “Mapping Qualifications Frameworks Across APEC Economies.” APEC Secretariat. Accessed April 14, 2018. www.apecknowledgebank.org/file.aspx?id=2029.
- CEDEFOP. 2017. “Global Inventory of Regional and National Qualifications Frameworks”. The European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training. Accessed April 14, 2018. http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/en/publications-and-resources/publications/2221.
- Geronimo, Jee Y. 2013. “8 Ways PH Higher Education Can Prepare for ASEAN 2015.” Rappler. Accessed April 14, 2018. https://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/education/44519-higher-education-sector-asean-2015-preparation.
- Lythe, David. 2009. “Qualification Frameworks in Asia and the Pacific.” International Labour Office. Accessed April 14, 2018. http://apskills.ilo.org/resources/qualification-frameworks-in-asia-pacific.
- Paryono. 2016. “Overview of the TVET Movement in SEA.” Accessed May 26, 2018. http://seatvet.seameo.org/download/13_China%20Networking%20Programme%2C%201-3%20Aug%202016/Dr_Paryono_VOCTECH_Overview_of_TVET_Movement_in_Southeast_Asia.pdf.
- Regional Perspective. 2018. “Existing Approach in Developing Quality and Qualification Framework in Asia.” Accessed April 14, 2018. www.regional-tvet-conference-laos.org/kontext/controllers/document…/481903.pdf.
- SHARE-ASEAN. 2016. Qualification Reference Framework and National Qualification Framework State of Play Report 2015 Commission by SHARE Consortium Partner DAAD. Accessed April 10, 2018. www.share.asean.edu.
- SHARE-ASEAN. 2018. “European Union Support to Higher Education in the ASEAN Region.” Accessed April 8, 2018. http://share-asean.eu/about/welcome-message-from-asean.
- SHARE Europe Support to Higher Education in ASEAN. 2018. “Boosting ASEAN Student Mobility Towards a Comprehensive Approach in Credit Transfer Policy Brief Number 8.” Accessed August 14, 2018. https://www.share-asean.eu/sites/default/files/PB%208_FINAL.pdf.
- Taiji Hota. 2014. “The Proceedings of the ASEM Dialogue on Quality Assurance and Recognition.” Sunway Putra Hotel, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Malaysian Qualification Agency 2015. Accessed April 15, 2018. http://www.aqan.org/aqanv2/document/pdf/I%20-%20Proceeding%202014%20-%2022Sept2015.pdf.
- UN Economics and Social Council. 2006. “Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, General Comment 11, Plans of Action for Primary Education (Twentieth session, 1999).” Accessed April 10, 2018. http://www.refworld.org/docid/4538838c0.html.
- Woon, Walter. 2015. THE ASEAN Charter: A Commentary. Singapore: NUS Press.Google Scholar