Challenges and Opportunities; Lessons for ASEAN Post 50
The concluding chapter reflects on the challenges that were presented throughout the book. For the past 50 years, ASEAN has made considerable progress in its effort to achieve an ASEAN Community. Although efforts to enhance political-security cooperation has been less successful than its economic and sociocultural cooperation, ASEAN can continue to move forward by focusing on its strength in order to enhance cooperation. The chapter addresses three areas for the consideration of policymakers both at the national and regional level. These are (1) exploring new roles for cooperation in the existing architecture (2) enhancing effort to standardize institutional regulations (including economic and educational institutions) and (3) empowering the people-to-people and civil society network.
- AHA Centre. 2018. Operationalising One ASEAN One Response. Jakarta: The AHA Centre.Google Scholar
- ASEAN. 2015. Fact Sheet—ASEAN Community. Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat.Google Scholar
- ASEAN. 2017. Fact Sheet of ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC). Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat.Google Scholar
- ASEAN 2018. ASEAN Economic Integration Brief, No. 3. Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat.Google Scholar
- ASEAN Secretariat. 2018. ASEAN Key Figures 2018. Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat.Google Scholar
- Biswas, Asit K., and Cecilia Tortajada. 2018. “Managing Indonesian Haze: Complexities and Challenges.” In Pollution Across Borders: Transboundary Fire, Smoke and Haze in Southeast Asia, edited by Euston Quah and Tsiat Siong Tan, 1–18. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing.Google Scholar
- Channel News Asia (CNA). 2017. “Malaysia Disassociates Itself from ASEAN Statement on Myanmar’s Rakhine State.” Channel News Asia, September 24. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-disassociates-itself-from-asean-statement-on-myanmar-s-9246494.
- Maizura, Ismail. 2018. “Southeast Asia’s Widening Inequalities.” The ASEAN Post, July 17. Accessed January 8, 2019. https://theaseanpost.com/article/southeast-asias-widening-inequalities.
- Pitsuwan, Surin. 2017. “Challenges for ASEAN in the Changing Regional and Global Landscape.” Speech presented at the Symposium on the 50th Anniversary of ASEAN with H.E. Dr. Surin Pitsuwan, Former Secretary-General of ASEAN, ASEAN-Japan Centre, Tokyo, Japan. Accessed January 2, 2019. https://www.asean.or.jp/ja/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/06/For-WEB-Symposium-on-the-50th-Anniversary-of-ASEAN-Verbatim-of-Keynote-Speech-by-Dr.Surin_.pdf.
- UNESCAP. 2017. Asia and the Pacific: SDG Progress Report. New York: United Nations.Google Scholar