Radio-Protective Effects of Loliolus beka Gray Meat Consisted of a Plentiful Taurine Against Damages Caused by Gamma Ray Irradiation
Gamma ray irradiation causes immune suppression, in which oxidative stress reduces cell viability and damages immune cells. In the present study, we investigated whether Loliolus beka gray meat (LBM), which contains large amounts of taurine, protects against damage of murine splenocytes by oxidative stress. An aqueous extract of LBM (LBMW) was prepared, which contained plentiful levels of taurine. LBMW improved cell viability of gamma ray-irradiated murine splenocytes, an effect that was associated with significant reduction in the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). We also showed that the production of nitric oxide (NO) and ROS in gamma ray-irradiated zebrafish embryos, as well as the death of the embryos, were diminished by LBMW. These data suggest that the consumption of taurine-rich foods, such as LBM, may be used in the protection of cells against oxidative stress.
KeywordsLoliolus beka gray Gamma ray irradiation ROS Zebrafish embryos
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (2018016523).
- Caldefie-Chézet F, Walrand S, Moinard C, Tridon A, Chassagne J, Vasson M (2002) Is the neutrophil reactive oxygen species production measured by luminol and lucigenin chemiluminescence intra or extracellular? Comparison with DCFH-DA flow cytometry and cytochrome c reduction. Clin Chim Acta 319:9–17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Han EJ, Um JH, Kim EA, Lee W, Kang N, Oh JY, Park SY, Jeon YJ (2017) Protective effects of an water extracts prepared from Loliolus beka gray meat against H2O2-induced oxidative stress in Chang liver cells and zebrafish embryo model. Adv Exp Med Biol:585–601Google Scholar
- Imen H, Fatih Ö, Yesim Ö, Regenstein J (2015) Marine bioactive compounds and their health benefits: a review. CRFSFS 14:446–465Google Scholar
- Lee W, Kang N, Kim EA, Yang HW, Oh JY, Fernando IPS, Kim KN, Ahn G, Jeon YJ (2017) Radioprotective effects of a polysaccharide purified from Lactobacillus plantarum-fermented Ishige okamurae against oxidative stress caused by gamma ray-irradiation in zebrafish in vivo model. J Funct Foods 28:83–89CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Norman M, Finn J, Hochberg F (2014) Cephalopods of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of cephalopod species known to date. Volume 3. Octopods and vampire squids. FAO Species Cat Fish Purp 4:36–215Google Scholar
- Shimada K, Jong CJ, Takahashi K (2015) Role of ROS production and turnover in the antioxidant activity of taurine. Adv Exp Med Biol:581–596Google Scholar
- Um JH, Kim EA, Lee W, Kang N, Han EJ, Oh JY, Ahn G (2017) Protective effects of an enzymatic hydrolysate from Octopus ocellatus meat against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress in Chang liver cells and zebrafish embryo. Adv Exp Med Biol:603–620Google Scholar