Australia’s Cognition of the “India-Pacific Strategy”, Reasons and Countermeasures
Australia is a traditional ally of the US, and a key participator of the “Indo-Pacific Strategy”, so, it is of practical significance to study Australia’s cognition of the “Indo-Pacific Strategy”, and the reasons behind such cognition. This paper first reviews the process of emerging of the “Indo-Pacific” concept, and the putting forward and evolution of the “Indo-Pacific Strategy”. On this basis, this paper conducts a systematic analysis about Australia’s cognition of the “Indo-Pacific Strategy”, and mainly analyzes Australia’s official attitude and its academic community’s attitude toward this strategy. The analysis finds that Australian authority held a positive attitude toward the US-dominated “Indo-Pacific Strategy”; while, there are mainly three types of attitudes toward the strategy, namely, approval, middle and opposition, in the academic community; and in the academic community, to some extent, those who hold an approving attitude toward the strategy are the most influential. Then, this paper analyzes the factors that influence Australia’s cognition of the “Indo-Pacific Strategy”. The factors can be classified into domestic factors and international factors. Domestic factors include Australia’s special geographic location of bordering two oceans, and the fact that Australia’s internal politics is getting increasingly conservative and populist; and external factors mainly include: regarding China, Australia follows the principle of “high level politics” overweighing “low level politics”; Australia relies on the US in security, and follows the US in strategy; and Australia gives high attention to India’s rising. Lastly, regarding China’s counter-measures, this paper attempts to put forward 3 suggestions: first, economy still can be considered an effective tool in China’s foreign policy regarding Australia; second, a tacit acceptance of the “Indo-Pacific” concept promotes the normalization of China’s presence in the Indian Ocean Region; third, China should maintain strategic composure and strategic flexibility.
KeywordsAustralia Indo-Pacific strategy Quadrilateral security dialogue Follower policy
- Bergin, A. 2018. Towards an Indo-Pacific Strategic Partnership. Australia Strategic Policy Institute (ASIP), 2 Feb 2018. https://www.aspi.org.au/opinion/towards-indo-pacific-strategic-partnership.
- Bishop, J. 2017. Change and Uncertainty in the Indo-Pacific: Strategic Challenges and Opportunities. Minister for Foreign Affairs, 13 Mar 2017. https://foreignminister.gov.au/speeches/Pages/2017/jb_sp_170313a.aspx.
- Bisley, N. 2018. “Australia Faces Contested Asia”. Regional Security Outlook 2018, pp. 30–31. Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP). http://www.cscap.org/uploads/docs/CRSO/CSCAP2018WEB.pdf.
- Brewster, D. 2014. The India-Australia Security and Defence Relationship: Developments, Constraints and Prospects. Security Challenges 10 (1), 65–71.Google Scholar
- Brewster, D. 2016. Australia and India: Forging a Stronger Relationship. Australia Institute of International Affairs, 1 Sept 2016. http://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/australia-and-india-forging-a-stronger-relationship/.
- Chang, F.K. 2017. What’s in a Name? Strategy Behind the “Indo-Pacific”. Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI). 11 December 2017. https://www.fpri.org/2017/12/whats-name-strategy-behind-indo-pacific/.
- Cooper, Z. 2018. “U.S. Strategy in Asia: Mixing Economic Nationalism with Security Internationalism”. Regional Security Outlook 2018. Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP). http://www.cscap.org/uploads/docs/CRSO/CSCAP2018WEB.pdf.
- Curran, J. 2017. Trump Exhumes the Quad. Lowy Institute, 17 Nov 2017. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/publications/trump-exhumes-quad.
- Dobell, G. 2015. Australia’s Indo-Pacific Understanding. Australia Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), August 17, 2015. https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/australias-indo-pacific-understanding/.
- Dobell, G. 2018. Asia’s Rise: The Rules and The Rulers. Australia Strategic Policy Institute(ASIP), February 15, 2018. https://www.aspi.org.au/opinion/asias-rise-rules-and-rulers.
- Guo, M.A. 2018. The Origin of ‘Indo-Pacific’ as Geopolitical Construct. The Diplomat, January 25. https://thediplomat.com/2018/01/the-origin-of-indo-pacific-as-geopolitical-construct/.
- Hawke, A., Smith, R. 2012. Australia Defense Force Posture Review. Australia Government, March, 2012. http://www.defence.gov.au/Publications/Reviews/ADFPosture/Docs/Report.pdf.
- Hawke, A., Smith, R. 2013. Australia Defense Force Posture Review, 7. Australia Government, March 30, 2013. http://www.defence.gov.au/Publications/Reviews/ADFPosture/Docs/Report.pdf.
- Khurana, G.S. 2015. Ausindex-2015: Australia Pivots to the Indian Ocean. Australia Naval Institute, 1 Nov 2015. http://navalinstitute.com.au/ausindex-2015-australia-pivots-to-the-indian-ocean/.
- Khurana, G.S. 2017. The ‘Indo-Pacific’ Concept: Retrospect and Prospect, 1. National Maritime Foundation. February 2, 2017.Google Scholar
- Kurlantzick, J. 2018. Trump’s Indo-Pacific Vision: A Solid Idea, Hard to Pull Off. Aspenia Online, February 19. http://www.aspeninstitute.it/aspenia-online/article/trumps-indo-pacific-vision-solid-idea-hard-pull.
- Madan, T. 2017. The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of the ‘Quad’. War on the Rocks, November 16. https://warontherocks.com/2017/11/rise-fall-rebirth-quad/.
- Marks, K. 2017. The Rise of Populist Politics in Australia. BBC News, March 1. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39111317.
- Medcalf, R. 2012. Pivoting the Map: Australia’s Indo-Pacific System. The Center of Gravity Series, p. 3. November 2012. https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/175987/COG1_Medcalf_Indo-Pacific.pdf.
- Panda, A. 2017. U.S, Japan, India and Australia Hold Working-Level Quadrilateral Meeting on Regional Cooperation. The Diplomat, November 13. https://thediplomat.com/2017/11/us-japan-india-and-australia-hold-working-level-quadrilateral-meeting-on-regional-cooperation/.
- Probyn, A. 2018. Malcolm Turnbull urges US not to diminish presence in Indo-Pacific. ABC News (Australia Broadcasting Corporation), February 24. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-25/malcolm-turnbull-urges-us-not-to-diminish-presence-indo-pacific/9482428.
- Scott, D. 2013. Australia’s Embrace of the ‘Indo-Pacific’: New Term, New Region, New Strategy? International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 17. June 26, 2013.Google Scholar
- Swaine, M.D. 2018. Creating an Unstable Asia: The U.S. “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” Strategy. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 2 Mar 2018. http://carnegieendowment.org/2018/03/02/creating-unstable-asia-u.s.-free-and-open-indo-pacific-strategy-pub-75720.
- Tom Phillips, C.K. 2017. Turnbull Says Australia will ‘Stand Up’ to China as Foreign Influence Row Heats Up. The Guardian, February 8. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/09/china-says-turnbulls-remarks-have-poisoned-the-atmosphere-of-relations.
- Valencia, M.J. 2017. Joining the Quad: Fear Versus Greed. The Diplomat, December 15. https://thediplomat.com/2017/12/joining-the-quad-fear-versus-greed/.
- Wesley, A. 2011. Irresistible Rise of the Indo-Pacific. Australian Literary Review, 5. May 4, 2011. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/sites/default/files/pubfiles/Wesley%2C_Irresistible_rise_of_the_Indo_Pacific_1.pdf.
- Wong, A.N. 2018, April 2. Briefing on The Indo-Pacific Strategy. U.S Department of State. https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2018/04/280134.htm.
- Wyeth, G. 2017. Why Has Australia Shifted Back to the Quad. The Diplomat. November 16. https://thediplomat.com/2017/11/why-has-australia-shifted-back-to-the-quad/.