The Rise of Smart Cities
On a more macro scale, robotic applications, algorithm-based applications, A.I. and other digital technologies will be implemented on a city-wide scale, turning entire cities into “smart cities”. The utilization of cloud computing, energy management and enhancing the standards of living, practice sustainable development and bringing about live-able cities are also criteria for defining smart cities. The urgency and significance of building smart cities lies in the reality that more than half the globe’s denizens now live in urban cities.
- Basu, Medha, “Three Innovative Data Projects from China” dated 20 March 2018 in GovInsider [downloaded on 20 March 2018]. Available at https://govinsider.asia/security/three-innovative-data-projects-china/.
- Carmodyon, Patrick, “Taiwan Leads in Smart Cities” dated 13 November 2016 in Taiwan Business Topics [downloaded on 13 November 2016]. Available at https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2016/11/taiwan-leads-smart-cities/.
- Economic Times (ET), “Taiwan to Empower Bengaluru’s Quest to Become a Smart City” dated 13 March 2018 in Economic Times (ET) website [downloaded on 13 March 2018]. Available at https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/taiwan-to-empower-bengalurus-quest-to-become-a-smart-city/articleshow/63279696.cms.
- EU SME Centre and China-Britain Business Council, “Sector Report Smart Cities in China” dated 2015 [downloaded on 1 January 2018]. Available at http://ccilc.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/eu_sme_centre_report_-_smart_cities_in_china_i_edit_-_jan_2016_1_1.pdf. It was compiled by Ms Kelly Yang (Consultant, China Britain Business Council CBBC), Ms Aideen Clery (China Britain Business Council CBBC), and Mr Domenico Di Liello (Knowledge Centre Coordinator, EU SME Centre).
- Fulcoon, Matthew, “Taiwan’s Cities Smarten Up” dated 15 August 2017 in Taiwan Business Topics (Taipei: American Chamber of Commerce Taipei AmCham Taipei). Available at https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2017/08/taiwans-cities-smarten/.
- GovInsider daily briefing news, “How AI Will Transform Taiwan’s Economy” dated 10 April 2018 in the AI Taiwan website [downloaded on 10 April 2018] (Taiwan: Government of Taiwan). Available at https://ai.taiwan.gov.tw/news/how-ai-will-transform-taiwans-economy/.
- GovTech Singapore, “An Inclusive Smart Nation: 5 Ways Tech Can Empower Persons with Special Needs” dated 9 February 2018 in GovTech Singapore [downloaded on 9 February 2018]. Available at https://www.tech.gov.sg/TechNews/Innovation/2018/02/An-inclusive-Smart-Nation-5-ways-tech-can-empower-persons-with-special-needs.
- He, Wei, “Chipmakers Seek New Edge” dated 24 April 2018 in China Daily [downloaded on 24 April 2018]. Available at http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201804/24/WS5ade7ffaa3105cdcf651a11e.html.
- Hynes, Casey, “Singapore Ranks as World’s No. 2 Smart City, Report Says” dated 10 November 2017 in Forbes.com [downloaded on 10 November 2017]. Available at https://www.forbes.com/sites/chynes/2017/11/10/singapore-ranks-as-one-of-the-top-smart-cities-in-the-world/#c234bb5717d6.
- RSP, “CapitaGreen One of the Greenest, Crowned with Cool Void” in RSP website [downloaded on 1 January 2018]. Available at http://www.rsp.com.sg/project/show?id=170.
- Salman, Saba, “What Would a Truly Disabled-Accessible City Look Like?” dated 14 February 2018 in The Guardian [downloaded on 14 February 2018]. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/feb/14/what-disability-accessible-city-look-like.
- Salmonsen, Renée, “Connecting Cars and IoT at Taipei Smart City Summit—A.I. on the Road: Applying IoT Solutions to Traffic in Taiwan” dated 28 March 2018 in Taiwan News website [downloaded on 28 March 2018]. Available at https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3392486.
- Smart Nation and Digital Government Office, “Smart Nation” dated 2018 in the Smart Nation website [downloaded on 1 May 2018]. Available at https://www.smartnation.sg/.
- Sregantan, Navin, “Singapore Tops Global Smart City Performance Ranking in 2017: Study” dated 13 March 2018 [downloaded on 13 March 2018]. Available at http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/singapore-tops-global-smart-city-performance-ranking-in-2017-study.
- The Hindu, “Disabled People Not to Be Left Behind in Smart Cities” dated 30 July 2017 in The Hindu Business Line [downloaded on 30 July 2017]. Available at https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/disabled-people-not-to-be-left-behind-in-smart-cities/article9794091.ece.
- United Nations Development Programme (Zhou, Steven, Samantha Anderson, Boshu Cui, and Shenglin Zhang), Smart Cities and Social Governance: Guide for Participatory Indicator Development (New York: UNDP), 2017, pp. 50–52.Google Scholar