Mixed Convection Boundary Layer Flow on a Solid Sphere in a Viscoelastic Micropolar Fluid
This study considers the mixed convection boundary layer flow of a viscoelastic micropolar fluid past a solid sphere with aligned MHD effect. The governing equations are first transformed into dimensionless form using dimensionless variables before the application of stream function which then produced a set of partial differential equations. The equations are solved numerically using a finite difference method known as the Keller-box scheme in Fortran program. Validations of present results are performed by comparing the present work with previous publications and the results show excellent agreement. Results on the effects of the viscoelastic parameter, K, material parameter, K1, mixed convection parameter, λ and the magnetic parameter, M on the distribution of velocity, temperature as well as microrotation were discussed together with the graphical representation.
KeywordsViscoelastic micropolar Solid sphere MHD effect Boundary layer Numerical solution
The authors would like to express our gratitude for the financial support received from Universiti Malaysia Pahang for RDU 161106 and RDU 1703258.
- 1.Eringen, A.C., Aeronautics, P.U.L.I.S.O., Astronautics: Theory of Micropolar Fluids. Defense Technical Information Center (1965)Google Scholar
- 3.Rashad, A.M., Abbasbandy, S., Chamkha, A.J.: Mixed convection flow of a micropolar fluid over a continuously moving vertical surface immersed in a thermally and solutally stratified medium with chemical reaction. J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng. 45(5), 2163–2169 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2014.07.002CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Aziz, L.A., Kasim, A.R.M., Al-Sharifi, H., Salleh, M.Z., Mohammad, N.F., Shafie, S., Ali, A.: Influence of aligned MHD on convective boundary layer flow of viscoelastic fluid. In: AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1, p. 030005. AIP Publishing (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Kasim, A., Mohammad, N., Anwar, I., Shafie, S.: MHD effect on convective boundary layer flow of a viscoelastic fluid embedded in porous medium with Newtonian heating. Recent Adv. Math. 4, 182–189 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Aziz, L.A., Kasim, A.R.M., Salleh, M.Z., Yusoff, N.S., Shafie, S.: Magnetohydrodynamics effect on convective boundary layer flow and heat transfer of viscoelastic micropolar fluid past a sphere. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 890(1), 012003 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Dasman, A., Kasim, M., Rahman, A., Mohammad, N.F., Mangi, A., Shafie, S.: Mixed convection boundary layer flow of viscoelastic fluids past a sphere. In: Defect and Diffusion Forum, pp. 57–63. Trans Tech Publications (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Cebeci, T., Bradshaw, P.: Finite-difference solution of boundary-layer equations. In: Physical and Computational Aspects of Convective Heat Transfer, pp. 385–428. Springer (1984)Google Scholar