Influence of Stone Columns on the Consolidation Characteristics of a Clayey Soil
As soft clays cause significant engineering problems due to poor strength, high compressibility and low permeability, and soft clays cover a large and extensively located area of India and many parts of the world. Soft clay extends in large stretches and construction of pavement and other structure on this part of soils is a great problem. To set right these problems, the stone column is used to treat these soils. This study is to examine the influence of ‘Stone Column’ on the consolidation characteristics of a clayey soil Standard Proctor Test and Consolidation Tests will be carried out to study the influence of the relative core area of the stone column on the consolidation characteristics. This study also tell us the effect on void ratio when the stone column is installed in the clayey soil and also the changes in the void ratio, coefficient of compressibility of composite sample, the coefficient of volume change of composite, coefficient of consolidation, the compression index and the time required for 90% degree of consolidation by increasing the core area of stone column.
KeywordsStone columns Clayey soil Coefficient of compressibility Coefficient of volume change Compression index
- Bachus RC, Barksdale RD (1984) Vertical and lateral behavior of model stone columns. In: Proceedings of the international conference on in-situ soil and rock reinforcement, Paris pp 99–110Google Scholar
- Barksdale RD, Bachus RC (1983) Design and construction of stone columns volume II, appendixes. Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, USAGoogle Scholar
- Bergado DT, Anderson LR, Miura N, Balasubramaniam AS (1996) Soft ground improvement in lowland and other environments. ASCEGoogle Scholar
- Greenwood DA (1900) Mechanical improvement of soils below ground surface. In: Inst civil engineers proceedings, London, UKGoogle Scholar
- Hasan M, Samadhiya NK, Experimental study on performance of floating granular piles in soft clayGoogle Scholar