Stimulation of Seed Germination and Growth Parameters of Rice var. Sahbhagi by Enterobacter cloacae in the Presence of Ammonium Sulphate as Substitute of ACC
Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) with 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate deaminase (ACCD) activity facilitate the improvement of agricultural productivity and yield stability. The present work reports the efficiency of Enterobacter cloacae with ACCD activity isolated from an organic farm near SHUATS, Allahabad, India. This PGPR was screened for stimulation of seed germination and growth promotion of the rice var. Sahbhagi in the presence of ammonium sulphate as a substitute of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate (ACC). Inoculation of rice var. Sahbhagi with the PGPR showed a significant (p < 0.01) increase in seed germination and enhancement in elongation of root and shoot compared to untreated control. Potential efficacy of E. cloacae (KP226569) to enhance the growth of rice will be discussed.
KeywordsEnterobacter cloacae (KP226569) Rice var. Sahbhagi Ammonium sulphate as a substitute of ACC
AS gratefully acknowledge the financial support of Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) by the University Grants Commission of India.
- Bakker AW, Schippers B (1987) Microbial cyanide production in the rhizosphere in relation to potato yield reduction and Pseudomonas SPP-mediated plant growth-stimulation. Soil Biol Biochem 19(4):451–457Google Scholar
- Brick JM, Bostock RM, Silverstone SE (1991) Rapid in situ assay for indole acetic acid production by bacteria immobilized on nitrocellulose membrane. Appl Environ Microbiol 57:535–538Google Scholar
- Cappuccino JC, Sherman N (1992) Microbiology: a laboratory manual, 3rd edn. Benjamin/cummings Pub Co, New York, pp 125–179Google Scholar
- Damodaran T, Sah V, Rai RB, Sharma DK, Mishra VK, Jha SK, Kannan R (2013) Isolation of salt tolerant endophytic and rhizospheric bacteria by natural selection and screening for promising plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) and growth vigour in tomato under sodic environment. Afr J Microbiol Res 7:5082–5089Google Scholar
- Ebrahimi RF, Rahdari P, Vahed HS, Shahinrokhsar P, Babazadeh S (2012) Rice response to different methods of potassium application under salinity stress condition, American-Eurasian. J Agric Environ Sci 12(11):1441–1445Google Scholar
- Jacobson CB, Pasternak JJ, Glick BR (1994) Partial purification and characterization of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate deaminase from the plant growth promoting rhizobacterium GR12-2. Can J Microbiol 40(12):1019–1025Google Scholar
- Qin S, Zhang Y-J, Yuan B, Xu P-Y, Xing K, Wang J, Jiang J-H, Qin S, Zhang J, Yuan B, Xu Y, Xing K, Wang J, Jiang H (2014) Isolation of ACC deaminase-producing habitat-adapted symbiotic bacteria associated with halophyte Limonium sinense (Girard) Kuntze and evaluating their plant growth-promoting activity under salt stress. Plant Soil 374:753–766CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schaad NW (1992) Laboratory guide for identification of plant pathogenic bacteria, 2nd edn. International Book Distributing Co, Lucknow, pp 44–58Google Scholar