Financial Analysis of Biofertilizer Application: Case Study of Gliocompost Utilization on Red Chili Farming
In Indonesia, chili is one of the strategic commodities and defined as staple food other than rice, corn, and soybeans. Chili is also a horticultural commodity cultivated by many farmers, and it has a significant effect on inflation. Based on the results of the Indonesian National Survey (SUSENAS), chili consumption is estimated to increase by 0.81% every year. Considering such a condition, the increase of pepper production nationally needs to be continuously cultivated, either through the expansion of planting area or the increase in land productivity. At the level of chili farming fertilization with synthetic chemicals are very attractive to farmers, often excessive fertilization occurs that damages soil fertility and biological balance in the soil. As a result, farming efficiency is low, and the price of chili pepper becomes high. Therefore, it needs to find another alternative to chili farming at farmer’s level; one of this is using biological fertilizer. The Indonesian Agency of Agricultural Research and Development (IAARD) has assembled an agriculture input product of biofertilizer called Gliocompost, and it was tested in an on-farm research in Tapin District, South Kalimantan, in 2016. This paper presents part of the results of the research, in particular with regard to the objective of knowing the technical and economic efficiency of Gliocompost utilization in chili farming. Gliocompost was applied to two varieties of red pepper (Gandewa and Pilar varieties), three doses of chemical fertilizer (100% NPK, 75% NPK, and 50% NPK), and control (100% NPK without Gliocompost). Each treatment was replicated twice with a plot size of 300 m2 each. The research was managed by a farmer with the guidance of field assistant and researcher. The results show that the use of Gliocompost can increase the productivity of red chili and financially feasible to the farmer.
KeywordsBiofertilizer application Gliocompost Red chili farming
The authors wish to thank the National Innovative Bio-fertilizer Team, especially the Indonesian Agency of Agricultural Research and Development members, among others, Dr. I Putu Wardana, Prof. Dr. Djatnika, and Prof. Dr. Suyamto who have supported the research activity.
- BPS (2014) BiayaProduksi UsahaTanamanHortikultura. Badan Pusat Statistik, JakartaGoogle Scholar
- BPS (2015) Statistik Pertanian 2015. Badan Pusat Statistik. JakartaGoogle Scholar
- BPS (2016) Kenaikan Harga Cabai Merah Sumbang Inflasihingga 0,7%. http://bisniskeuangan.kompas.com/read/2016/11/01/165329626/bps
- BPS Tapin (2013) Statistik Daerah Kecamatan Tapin Selatan Dalam Angka 2013. Badan Pusat Statistik KabupatenTapin. Rantau. Kalimantan SelatanGoogle Scholar
- Chopan M, Littenberg B (2017) The association of hot red chili pepper consumption and mortality: a large population-based cohort study, January 9, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169876
- Djatnika, Nuryani W, Hanudin dan Silvia E (2003) Pengembangan Pupuk Hayati Efikasibeberapa Formulasi Pupuk Hayatiterhadap Produktivitas Tanaman Cabai. Laporan Akhir Tahun, Konsorsium Pengembangan Pupuk Hayati Unggulan Nasional. Puslitbang Tanaman Pangan, Bogor, p 27Google Scholar
- Hendrawanto (2008) Analisis Pendapatandan Produksi Cabang Usahatani Cabai Merah (Skripsi). Fakultas Pertanian, Institut Pertanian Bogor, Bogor, p 167Google Scholar
- Nofita I, Hadi S (2015 Nov) Analisis Produktivitas Ushatani Cabai Merah Besar (Capsicum Annum L.) di Desa Andongsari Kecamatan Ambulu, Kabupaten Jember. JSEP 8(3):66–71Google Scholar
- Novel A (2012) Potensi dan Produksi Cabai di Indonesia. http://blog.ub.ac.id/novelakbar/2012/09/08/potensi-dan-produksi-cabai-di-indonesia. November 1, 2012
- Pusdatin (2016) Outlook Komoditas Pertanian Sub-sektor Hortikultura. Pusat Data dan Sistem Informasi Pertanian. Kementerian Pertanian. Jakarta. ISSN : 1907-1507Google Scholar
- Sumarni N, dan Muharam A (2005) Panduan Teknis PTT Cabai Merah No 2: Budidaya Tanaman Cabai Merah. Balai Penelitian Tanaman Sayuran. Puslitbang Hortikultura. Badan Litbang Pertanian, Lembang, p 44Google Scholar
- Supriyo A, Minarsih S, dan Prayudi S (2014) Efektivitas Pemberian Pupuk Hayati Terhadap Pertumbuhandan Hasil Padi Gogopada Tanah Kering. Agritech 1:1–12Google Scholar