Character Recognition from Handwritten Image Using Convolutional Neural Networks
Character recognition from handwritten images is of great interest in the pattern recognition research community for their good application in many areas. To implement the system, it requires two steps, viz., feature extraction followed by character recognition based on any classification algorithm. Convolutional neural network (CNN) is an excellent feature extractor and classifier. The performance of a CNN for a particular application depends on the parameters used in the network. In this article, a CNN is implemented for the MNIST dataset with appropriate parameters for training and testing the system. The system provides accuracy up to 98.85%, which is better with respect to others. It also takes very low amount of time for training the system.
KeywordsHandwritten character recognition Optical character recognition Convolutional neural networks Deep neural networks MNIST dataset
The authors are grateful to IT department, RCC Institute of Information Technology (RCCIIT), Kolkata for providing the requisite infrastructure for the research work. The authors are also grateful to Prof. (Dr.) Ajoy Kumar Roy, Chairman, RCCIIT for his constant inspiration.
- 1.Arica N, Vural FTY (2001) An overview of character recognition focused on offline handwriting. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern—Part C: Appl Rev 31(2):216–233Google Scholar
- 2.Epshtein B, Oyek E, Wexler Y (2010) Detecting text in natural scenes with strokes width transform. In: IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, pp 1–8Google Scholar
- 4.Lee H, Grosse R, Ranganath R, Ng AY (2009) Convolutional deep belief networks for scalable unsupervised learning of hierarchical representations. In: 26th Annual international conference on machine learning. ACM, pp 609–616Google Scholar
- 6.Krizhevsky A, Sutskever I, Hinton GE (2012) Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In: Advances in neural information processing systems, pp 1097–1105Google Scholar
- 7.Hanmandlu M, Murthy OVR (2007) Fuzzy model based recognition of handwritten numerals. Pattern Recogn 40(6):1840–1854Google Scholar
- 8.Graves A, Schmidhuber J (2009) Offline handwriting recognition with multidimensional recurrent neural networks. In: Advances in neural information processing systems NIPS’22, vol 22. MIT Press, Vancouver, pp 545–552Google Scholar
- 9.Pal A, Singh D (2010) Handwritten english character recognition using neural network. Int J Comput Sci Commun 1(2):141–144Google Scholar
- 10.Neves RFP, Filho, ANGL, Mello CAB, Zanchettin C (2011) A SVM based off-line handwritten digit recognizer. In: International conference on systems, man and cybernetics, IEEE Xplore, Brazil, 9–12, October 2011. pp 510–515Google Scholar
- 11.Younis KS, Alkhateeb, AA (2017) A new implementation of deep neural networks for optical character recognition and face recognition. In: Proceedings of the new trends in information technology, Jordan, April 2017. pp. 157–162Google Scholar
- 12.Dutt A, Dutt A (2017) Handwritten digit recognition using deep learning. Int J Adv Res Comput Eng Technol 6(7):990–997Google Scholar
- 13.Ghosh MMA, Maghari AY (2017) A comparative study on handwriting digit recognition using neural networks. In: International conference on promising electronic technologies, pp 77–81Google Scholar