Conclusion—What Is the Future of Youth?
This book has considered the hopes, plans and concerns of three cohorts of young university students in relation to their current and imagined future lives as family members, workers and political actors. The perspectives of our interviewees are varied, reflecting the nuance and complexities of young people’s lives in general. One common theme to emerge, however, has been the uncertainty experienced by all across these three areas of their lives. This uncertainty manifests itself in feelings that range from caution, anxiety and even fear, to a tempered hope or dark optimism.
- Alteri, L., Leccardi, C., & Raffini, L. (2017). Youth and the reinvention of politics. New forms of participation in the age of individualization and presentification. Partecipazione e Conflitto, 9(3), 717–747.Google Scholar
- BBC. (2018, March 11). We’re not out of austerity tunnel yet—Chancellor Philip Hammond. BBC. Retrieved May 10, 2018, from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43363167.
- Bessant, J., Farthing, R., & Watts, R. (2017). The precarious generation: A political economy of young people. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Black, R. (2018). Making the hopeful citizen in precarious times. In P. Campbell, L. Harrison, C. Hickey, & P. Kelly, (Eds.), Young people and the politics of outrage and hope (pp. 128–139). Amsterdam: Brill.Google Scholar
- Cairns, D., Growiec, K., & de Almeida Alves, N. (2014). Another ‘missing middle’? The marginalised majority of tertiary-educated youth in Portugal during the economic crisis. Journal of Youth Studies, 17(8), 1046–1060. https://doi.org/10.1080/13676261.2013.878789.
- Citi Foundation. (2017). Pathways to progress global youth survey 2017: Economic prospects & expectations. Retrieved August 13, 2018, from https://www.citigroup.com/citi/foundation/data/p2p_global_youth_survey_full_data.pdf.
- EBU. (n.d.). Generation what? Young people and optimism: A pan-European view. Geneva: EBU.Google Scholar
- Furlong, A. (2014). Foreword. In L. Antonucci, M. Hamilton, & S. Roberts (Eds.), Young people and social policy in Europe: Dealing with risk, inequality and precarity in times of crisis (pp. x–xi). London: Palgrave Macmillan UK.Google Scholar
- Ipsos MORI. (2014). Global trends 2014. Navigating the new. Retrieved November 15, 2018, from https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/publication/1970-01/ipsos-mori-global-trends-2014.pdf.
- Ipsos. (2017). Ipsos 2017 Global trends: Fragmentation, cohesion and uncertainty. Ipsos MORI. Retrieved October 11, 2018, from https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/2017-07/Ipsos%20Global%20Trends%202017%20report.pdf.
- Ipsos. (2018). Goalkeepers global youth outlook poll. Retrieved September 27, 2018, from https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/Gates-goalkeepers-youth-optimism.
- Kantor TNS. (2017). The consumer trust divide for brands online. Retrieved March 22, 2018, from http://www.tnsglobal.com/press-release/connected-life-2017-press-release.
- Kelly, P. (2014). The self as enterprise: Foucault and the spirit of 21st century capitalism. VT Gower: Farnham Burlington.Google Scholar
- Kelly, P. (2017). Growing up after the GFC: Responsibilisation and mortgaged futures. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 38(1), 57–69. https://doi.org/10.1080/01596306.2015.1104852.
- O’Malley, P. (2013). Uncertain governance and resilient subjects in the risk society. Oñati Socio-legal Series, 3(2), 180–195.Google Scholar
- Mayes, E. (2018). Student voice in an age of ‘security’? Critical Studies in Education, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/17508487.2018.145572.
- PWC. (2017). Workforce of the future: The competing forces shaping 2030. Retrieved March 5, 2018, from https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/services/people-organisation/publications/workforce-of-the-future.html.
- Qiwei, W. (2015, July 6). Ant Tribe: Between dreams and reality. GB Times. Retrieved November 9, 2018, from https://gbtimes.com/ant-tribe-between-dreams-and-reality.
- Robertson, E. (2014, October 17). Generation Y didn’t go crazy in a vacuum. How can we enjoy life when our future is so uncertain? The Guardian. Retrieved September 13, 2017, from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/17/generation-y-didnt-go-crazy-in-a-vacuum-how-can-we-enjoy-life-when-our-future-is-so-uncertain.
- The Prince’s Trust. (2018). The Prince’s Trust Macquarie Youth Index 2018. Retrieved September 22, 2018, from https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/about-the-trust/news-views/macquarie-youth-index-2018-annual-report.
- Woodman, D., & Wyn, J. (2014). Youth and generation: Rethinking change and inequality in the lives of young people. London: Sage.Google Scholar