Photocatalytic Activity of Bi-doped TiO2 for Phenol Degradation Under UV and Sunlight Conditions
Bi-doped P25 TiO2 nanoparticles were prepared by surface impregnation method using bismuth nitrate as bismuth source. The prepared catalyst was characterized by XRD, SEM-EDS, TEM and UV–Vis DRS techniques. The TEM images showed the agglomerated (particle–particle interaction) spherical-like morphology. The band gap energy of Bi-doped P25 TiO2 nanoparticles was found to be less than undoped P25 TiO2. The photocatalytic activity of the prepared catalyst was examined by the degradation of phenol under UV and sunlight conditions. Bi-doped P25 TiO2 nanoparticles have shown higher photodegradation of phenol than undoped P25 TiO2 under sunlight conditions. The optical response of TiO2 has shifted from UV to visible region after Bi-doping. The parametric study was also carried out to obtain the maximum degradation of phenol. The maximum degradation of phenol was obtained at an optimum catalyst loading of 0.5 g/L, dopant concentration of 1 wt% and calcination temperature of 500 oC.
KeywordsPhenol Bismuth TiO2 Photocatalytic degradation Bi-doped TiO2 UV/sunlight
The financial support received from DST PURSE grant-II, TEQIP-II and TEQIP-III of Dr. SSB University Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Panjab University, Chandigarh is gratefully acknowledged.
- Chandraboss VL, Natanapatham L, Karthikeyan B et al (2013) Effect of bismuth doping on the ZnO nanocomposite material and study of its photocatalytic activity under UV-light. Mater Res Bull 48(10):3707–3712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2013.05.121CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Devi LG, Kavitha R (2013) A review on non metal ion doped titania for the photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants under UV/solar light: Role of photogenerated charge carrier dynamics in enhancing the activity. Appl Catal B Environ 140–141:559–587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2013.04.035CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ganesh I, Gupta AK, Kumar PP, Sekhar PSC et al (2012) Preparation and characterization of Ni-doped materials for photocurrent and photocatalytic applications. Sci World J 2012:1–16. https://doi.org/10.1100/2012/127326
- Huang YU, Xuxu Z, Zhongyi YIN et al (2007) Preparation of nitrogen-doped TiO2 nanoparticle catalyst and its catalytic activity under visible light. Chin J Chem Eng 15:802–807. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1004-9541(08)60006-3
- Huang M, Xu C, Wu Z et al (2008) Photocatalytic discolorization of methyl orange solution by Pt modified TiO2 loaded on natural zeolite. Dyes Pigments 77(2):327–334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2007.01.026
- Toor AP, Yadav N, Wanchoo RK (2013) Enhancement in photocatalytic activity of nano-TiO2 photocatalyst by carbon doping. Mater Sci Forum 757:271–284. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.757.271CrossRefGoogle Scholar