Parallel Implementation of SUMPLE Algorithm in Large-Scale Antenna Array
Digital signal processing on high-performance computing platform based on general-purpose processor is one of the development directions of software-defined radio, which provides a new idea for the signal combining of large-scale antenna array. In this paper, two parallel implementations of SUMPLE combined algorithm are proposed, which are multi-antenna-group method (MAGM) based on task decomposition principle and multi-signal-block method (MSBM) based on data decomposition principle. The processing capability and real-time performance of the two methods are analyzed in detail. Results show that MAGM is not suitable for the high-performance computing platform because of large and frequent data transmissions from central processing unit (CPU) to graphics processing unit (GPU). The traditional iterative method of SUMPLE cannot be applied to MSBM due to the dependencies among signal blocks.
KeywordsAntenna array High-performance computing platform Task decomposition Data decomposition
- 1.Harp GR. Allen telescope array digital processing requirements driven by radio frequency interference concerns. Radio Sci. 2005;40:1–9.Google Scholar
- 2.Dickman RL, Millimeter radio astronomy and the genesis of ALMA. In: 2015 IEEE MTT-S international microwave symposium, Phoenix, AZ; 2015. p. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 3.Shi X, Wang Y, Dang H. Study on array signal processing for deep space communications. In: 2008 second international symposium on intelligent information technology application, Shanghai; 2008, p. 611–5.Google Scholar
- 5.Rogstad DH. The SUMPLE algorithm for aligning arrays of receiving radio antennas: coherence achieved with less hardware and lower combining loss, IPN Progress Report; 2005. p. 42–162, August 2005[Online]. Available: https://tda.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/42-162/162B.pdf.
- 8.Yang Y, Xiang P, Mantor M, Zhou H. CPU-assisted GPGPU on fused CPU-GPU architectures. In: IEEE international symposium on high-performance comp architecture, New Orleans, LA; 2012. p. 1–12.Google Scholar