Automatic Evaluation of Programming Assignments Using Information Retrieval Techniques
Nowadays, automatic assessment is a common need for the programming courses in e-learning platform. Programming courses often have a huge number of assignments, which is much tedious and error-prone job to manually check by instructors. In this paper, we present a model for automatic evaluation of C programming assignments by using TF-IDF algorithm, which is one of the most promising methods of information retrieval system. For scoring and ranking document, a combination of TF-IDF and cosine similarity algorithms has excellent performance. Experimental result shows that the proposed model has a good performance level.
KeywordsTF-IDF Cosine similarity Program solution feature
The research was done as part of MSc. Engg. in ICT in the Institute of Information and Communication Technology under a research grant by Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka.
- 1.Zougari S, Tanana M, Lyhyaoui A (2016) Towards an automatic assessment system in introductory and programming courses. In: International conference on electrical information technologies, IEEE, pp 496–499Google Scholar
- 2.Zougari S, Tanana M, Lyhyaoui A (2016) Hybrid assessment method for programming assignments. In: Fourth IEEE international colloquium on information science and technology, IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 3.Pape S, Flake J, Beckmann A (2016) STAGE a software tool for automatic grading of testing exercise. In: Thirty eighth IEEE international conference on software engineering companion, IEEE, pp 491–500Google Scholar
- 4.Pieterse V (2013) Automated assessment of programming assignments. In: Third computer science education research conference, ACM, pp 45–56Google Scholar
- 5.Kanmani S, Radhakrishnan P (2011) A simple Journal methodology to grade c program automatically. In: International of advances in embedd system research, IJAESR, pp 73–90Google Scholar
- 6.Srikant S, Aggarwal V (2014) A system to grade computer programming skills using machine learning. In: Twentieth international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining, ACM, pp 1887–1896Google Scholar
- 7.Dadic T, Glavinic V, Rosic M (2014) Automatic evaluation of students programs. In: Conference on innovation&technology in computer science education, ACM, pp 328–328Google Scholar
- 8.Huang C-J, Chen C-H, Luo Y-C, Chen H-X, Chuang Y-T (2008) Developing an intelligent diagnosis and Assessment tool for introductory programming. J Educ Technol Soc 11(4):139–157Google Scholar
- 9.Sharma K, Banerjee K, Mandal, C (2014) A scheme for automated evaluation of programming assignments using FSMD based equivalence checking. In: Sixth IBM collaborative academia research exchange conference on I-CARE, ACM, pp 1–4Google Scholar