Temperature Distribution Pattern in PILC Cable with Void Defect by Using COMSOL Multiphysics
A power system with high voltage transmission is necessary to transmit a large amount of electrical energy from generating stations to consumers. Insulation is the most important part of high voltage system together with cable and machine. In order to keep the equipment in good operating condition, it is necessary to maintain the insulation in the equipment. In particular condition, heat and other form of energy are released during the discharge activities which may degrade the performance of the insulation. In this paper, the temperature distribution pattern in the insulation of PILC cable is studied in order to help in determining the location of discharge activities. In particular, the effect of the size and location of the void in the insulation are investigated by using COMSOL Multiphysics. The result shows the amount of heat pattern is affected by the size and location of the void in the insulation. The finding shows that, the smaller size of void and the nearer void to the conductor made the insulator more heated and leading the cable to breakdown.
KeywordsPILC cable COMSOL multiphysics Temperature distribution pattern Partial discharge
The authors would like to thank the School of Electrical and Electronic, Universiti Sains Malaysia for the financial and management support under Short Term and RUI grants (304/PELECT/6315032 and 1001/PELECT/8014054).
- 1.Michel, M.: Comparison of off-line and on-line partial discharge MV cable mapping techniques. In: 18th International Conference on Electricity Distribution, CIRED 2005, pp. 1–2, Turin (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Buchholz, V., Colwell, M., Crine, J.P., Rao, A.: Condition assessment of distribution PILC cables. In: Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, IEEE/PES 2001, pp. 877–881, Atlanta (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Naidu, M.S., Vkamaruja: High Voltage Engineering, 5th edn. McGraw Hill Education, New Delhi (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Avinash, S., Rajagopala, K.: Some aspects of stress distribution and effect of voids having different gases in MV power cables. IOSR J. Electr. Electron. Eng. 5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Seghir, T., Mahi, D., Lebey, T., Malec, D.: Analysis of the electric field and the potential distribution in cavities inside solid insulating electrical materials. In: Excerpt from the Proceedings of the COMSOL Users, Paris (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Hadi, N.A., Zulkurnain, A.M., Saeed, V.M.: Study on effect of size and location of void on electric field and potential distributions in stator bar insulation with finite-element-model. Life Sci. J. 10 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Lihua, C., Zhong, Z., Min, C., Hong Y.: Study of the discharge mechanism and characteristics of micro-voids in the solid dielectric. In: International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Mehdi, N.: Partial Discharge Behavior in Solid Insulation (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Mohamed, A.A., Peter A.W., Donald, M.H., Chengke, Z.: Electric field investigation in MV PILC cables with void defect. Int. Sch. Sci. Res. Innov. 9 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Blackburn, T.R., Phung, B.T., Zhang, H., Khawaja, R.H.: Investigation of Electric Field Distribution in Power Cables with Voids (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, X.R., Hu, L.B., Xu, Y., Cao, X.L., Gubanski, S.M.: Investigation of Temperature Effect on Electrical Trees in XLPE Cable Insulation (2012)Google Scholar