Switching Circuit and Drive for Cascaded Multilevel Inverter
A reduce device count multilevel inverter or RDC-MLI can generate high levels of sinusoidal output waveforms with minimum number of switches. In this paper, switching signals and drives for RDC-MLI inverter are design and verify through software and prototype circuit. The switching signals were first design and simulate using PSIM environment. For prototype circuit, PIC16F877 microcontroller was used to generate the switching signal. TLP250 optocoupler was used to drive the level generation switches while IR2101 was used to drive the H-bridge. The simulation output waveform signals were identical to experimental prototype results. RDC-MLI inverter implemented with the designed switching signals and drives circuit, successfully produced high levels of output waveform with four asymmetry sources.
KeywordsMultilevel inverter Switching signal Switch drives circuit SMPS
This research was partly funded by Fundamental Research Grant Scheme of Ministry of Education, Malaysia (USM/PELECT/6071239) and USM Short Term Research Grant (304/PELECT/60313042).
- 1.Panagis, P., Stergiopoulos, F., Marabeas, P., Manias, S.: Comparison of state of the art multilevel inverters. In: PESC Record—IEEE Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 4296–4301 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Malinowski, M., Gopakumar, K., Rodriguez, J., Pérez, M.A.: A survey on cascaded multilevel inverters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 57(7), 2197–2206 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Gupta, K.K., Ranjan, A., Bhatnagar, P., Sahu, L.K., Jain, S.: Multilevel inverter topologies with reduced device count: a review (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Heumann, K.: DC–AC power converters. Wiley Encycl. Electr. Electron. Eng. (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Afsharian, J., Wu, B., Zargari, N.: Self-powered supplies for SCR, IGBT, GTO and IGCT devices: a review of the state of the art. In: Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2009. CCECE’09, pp. 920–925. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Silicon Labs.: AN1009: Driving MOSFET and IGBT Switches Using the Si828xNo Title (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Rashid, M.H.: Power Electronics Handbook. Elsevier, Burlington (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.PIC16F877, D.S.: Microchip Technology Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Toshiba, D.: TLP250 (INV) Rev (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.International Rectifier: Data sheet IR2101 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Mohamad, A.S., Mariun, N., Sulaiman, N., Radzi, M.A.M.: A new cascaded multilevel inverter topology with minimum number of conducting switches. In: 2014 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies—Asia, ISGT ASIA 2014, pp. 164–169 (2014)Google Scholar