The Influence of Socio-Demographic, Psychological and Medical Variables on Patient Satisfaction with Diabetes Care in the Hospital Setting in Romania
Diabetes is a chronic illness in which disease management is crucial in preventing associated complications. Patient satisfaction with medical care is closely linked to patients’ treatment adherence and disease management. In the context of an increased number of patients diagnosed with diabetes each year, the research we propose analyses the influence of socio-demographic, psychological and medical variables on patient satisfaction with diabetes care in the hospital setting in Romania. The research was conducted using mailed patient satisfaction questionnaires between July 2014 and February 2015 on 339 diabetes patients in Romania. The response rate was 39.5%. Results show that the most important factors influencing patient satisfaction with diabetes care in the hospital setting are patients’ age, educational and income levels, diabetes type, whether or not the patient incurs associated complications and patients’ perspective on diabetes management.
KeywordsDiabetes Patient satisfaction Socio-demographic Medical
This research was co-financed through the European Social Fund through Sectoral Operational Programme Human Resources Development 2007–2013, project number POSDRU159/1.5/S/142115 “Performance and Excellence in Doctoral and Postdoctoral Research in Romanian economics science domain”.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Bell, R., et al.: Charting patient satisfaction. Mark. Health Serv. 17(2), 22–29 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Chahal, H., Mehta, S.: Developing patient satisfaction construct for public and private health care sectors. J. Serv. Res. 13, 7–30 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Crow, R., et al.: The measurement of satisfaction with healthcare: implications for practice from a systematic review of the literature, executive summary, health technology assessment, 6, 32 (2002). Smith, J., Jones, M., Houghton, L., et al.: Future of health insurance. N. Engl. J. Med. 965, 325–329 (1999). https://doi.org/10.10007/s002149800025
- 16.Diț, L., et al.: Impactul severității bolii asupra satisfacției cu calitatea îngrijirii medicale la pacienții cu diabet de tip 2. Clujul Med. 85, 573–577 (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Tănăsescu, D.: Marketing public şi optimul social, editura ASAB, București (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Institutul Național de Statistică (INSSE), Biroul de presă, Comunicat de presă: 7 aprilie—Ziua mondială a sănătății. Available at http://www.insse.ro/cms/files/statistici/comunicate/alte/2014/ziua%20mondiala%20a%20sanatatii_cu%20poza%20OMS.pdf (2014). Accessed 19 Apr 2014
- 20.David, I.: Piața de jumătate de miliard de euro a serviciilor medicale private, dezbătută la ZF Pharma Summit, Ziarul Financiar, 17 Sep 2013. Available at http://www.zf.ro/companii/piata-de-jumatate-de-miliard-de-euro-a-serviciilor-medicale-private-dezbatuta-la-zf-pharma-summit-11341640 (2013). Accessed 3 May 2014
- 21.Bănilă, N.: Ce frânează creșterea pieței serviciilor medicale private în România, Capital, 23 June 2013. Available at http://www.capital.ro/183482.html (2013b). Accessed 3 May 2014
- 22.Rentrop & Straton: Serviciile clinicilor medicale de stat și private. Analiză comparativă. Market Research Division. Rentrop & Straton. Available at http://rsresearch.ro/pages/serviciile-clinicilor-medicale-de-stat-si-private-analiza-comparativa-193.html (2012). Accessed 15 Aug 2014
- 23.International Diabetes Federation (IDF): Diabetes: facts and figures. Available at http://www.idf.org/worlddiabetesday/toolkit/gp/facts-figures (2013). Accessed 6 Aug 2014
- 24.European Commission (EC): Major and chronic diseases—diabetes. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/health/major_chronic_diseases/diseases/diabetes/index_en.htm#fragment7 (2015). Accessed 20 Aug 2015
- 27.Federația Asociațiilor Diabeticilor din România (FADR): Diabetul în România. Available at http://fadr.ro/despre-diabet/diabetul-in-romania/ (2015). Accessed 7 March 2014
- 28.Ministerul Sănătății (MS): Programul Național de Diabet Zaharat și alte boli de nutriție. Available at http://www.ms.gov.ro/documente/8_51_329_c.htm (2014). Accessed 15 July 2014
- 29.Malhotra, N.K., Birks, D.F.: Marketing research. An Appl. Appr. 3rd edn, Prentice Hall, Harlow (2008)Google Scholar
- 30.Kothari, C.R.: Research Methodology—Methods and Techniques, 2nd edn, New Age International (P) Limited, New Delhi (2004)Google Scholar
- 31.Bernard, H.R.: Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches, 4th edn. Alta Mira Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 33.Bleich, S.N., et al.: How does satisfaction with the health-care system relate to patient experience? Bull. World Health Org. 87, 271–278 IFMBE at http://www.ifmbe.org (2009)